PDA

View Full Version : My 'new' (9 month captive) Magnifica!

sonofgaladriel
11/28/2006, 07:14 PM
I'm pretty excited about this find. A local reefer was downgrading due to college and just offered this beauty up for trade/sale. I've been looking for a blue base Magnifica for quite a while and this is the one I've been waiting for. Sometimes its more blue, other times more purple base, flourescent green oral disc, purple with yellow tip tentacles! I got it for a couple of blue chalice frags and a red cap frag!
The prior owner had it for over 9 months, so I'm hoping that this will be a keeper and maybe I'll join 'The Decade plus' anemone keeper club!
I've had, what I considered to be, the perfect placement in my reef saved for it for several months now, and believe it or not, it took right to it! Smack under a 250 watt DE halide in the middle of a vortex of high random flow. Its on its own rock pinnacle and just seems to love the spot! It ate a marble size piece of fresh shrimp today. I'd like to see the tentacles inflate a tad bit more, but the mouth is tight and its very sticky and reactive!
Ok, enough talk....here's the pics! Enjoy:
Close up:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/sonofgaladriel/DSC04712Medium.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/sonofgaladriel/DSC04713Medium.jpg
View from far side of tank:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/sonofgaladriel/DSC04714Medium.jpg
Top down under T5 ATI actinic blues and 250 watt DE 20K.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/sonofgaladriel/DSC04717Medium.jpg

illcssd
11/28/2006, 09:07 PM
That anemone is beautiful. I think its absolutely gorgeous, i have a magnifica, but its not near as beautiful, good luck with this one, it looks really good. Your tank is amazing too, totm someday for sure.

delphinus
11/28/2006, 09:34 PM
:cool:

Best of luck with it!

Genin
11/28/2006, 09:37 PM
absolutely stunning. I hope it lives long for you.

sonofgaladriel
11/28/2006, 09:47 PM
Thanks guys! The most satisfying thing about this nem, other than its great coloration and apparent health, was that it came from a fellow hobbyist, aka kind of recycled, and not taken again from the ocean. I love the fact that its acclimated to captivity as it seems so far.
Do you think that since its made it almost 10 months now, it could last the long haul? Or is there still a chance it could die, even if my parameters are all good for it?
Fingers crossed!

Jadran
11/28/2006, 10:00 PM
very nice, congratulation on such a great find and best of luck with it.. I think it might be to close to the corals, because it will grow bigger than that.. that red brain might get in the way of its tentacles.. In the beginning my was also between corals but it proved to be wrong cause within one year it tripled in size..

great buy,

delphinus
11/28/2006, 10:01 PM
.... I guess nothing's a given, but I would tend to agree that at 9 months, it's made the transition into captive life, at this point it's more so things like tank accidents, injuries, bad food, etc. more so than the "mysteriously just didn't make it."

It sounds like you have a good spot for it. As Jadran mentioned, be prepared for a fast growth rate. Your tank is large but be prepared to move things away if need be.

I feed mine mysis, it loves the stuff (and that's probably why it grew so fast, FW mysis is so protein rich and fatty is like supercharged food).

sonofgaladriel
11/28/2006, 10:50 PM
Thank you guys very much. Glad to hear that it could be past that magic point in time! To clarify, the location of the red brain is deceiving by the pictures. The brain is actually at least 12" to 14" below, and 12" away from, the magnifica's tentacles reach. The other corals are about 8 to 10" away but they can be moved easily as needed since they are all on small rocks that I epoxied in those positions. A simple 'pop' and they are loose and can be repositioned elsewhere. Believe me, I'm very prepared, and would be ectatic, to have to move the corals away from a growing Magnifica!:D
Heck, this nem could grow to 3 feet in diameter and I'd move all the other livestock out just for it! ;)
I'd fill this tank with about 30 baby clowns and get a bigger tank for the rest of the livestock :thumbsup:

sonofgaladriel
11/28/2006, 10:52 PM
Oh, just noticed that the third pic shows the true location of the brain coral ;)

GSMguy
11/28/2006, 11:46 PM
that is sooo coooool i think the placement is perfect ive never seen a nem look so cool the coloration is amazig
TOTM some day for sure

JamesJR
11/29/2006, 12:56 AM
Son of Galadriel you are the man!

Flighty
11/29/2006, 09:12 AM
Awesome. I think it will be home free, just be really careful about salinity swings. Let me know when you are ready to lop a section of it off for me :p :)

Edit: lots of blue and actinic may make it wander. If you are having that problem, try switching to whiter light and see if it fixes it.

also, a very smooth rock to anchor on seems to make them happier.

raoul
11/29/2006, 10:09 AM
That looks awesome!!! You deserve to have a good, well established nem after all the ups and downs you've had the past few months!
Good luck!

shutiny
11/29/2006, 11:36 AM
Wow! That anemone is absolutely gorgeous. I could clean toilet for a week for that thing:)

theoceandoor
11/29/2006, 12:40 PM
Awsome, best of luck.

delphinus
11/29/2006, 03:06 PM
So how big is it overall right now?

doesheya
11/29/2006, 03:26 PM
~~~Stunning~~~

sonofgaladriel
11/29/2006, 04:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8643845#post8643845 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by delphinus
So how big is it overall right now?
If I measure from end of tentacle to end of tentacle diameter, its close to 12". Central disc area is close to 6", maybe 7".
It stands about 6" tall when reaching up. I love it when if forms its tall column stance! I love that purple base!

bluerug
11/29/2006, 05:17 PM
Wow, everytime i see pics of your tank i honestly cant believe what i am seeing, it is amazing. Good luck.

Reef4Fun
11/30/2006, 12:30 AM
Your tank needs to be shown in magizines. I think you would make some money with letting them use pics, my goodness what a beautiful site!

illcssd
11/30/2006, 12:50 AM
So how is your beautiful anemone doing now? has it inflated anymore.

sonofgaladriel
11/30/2006, 12:58 AM
Wow, you guys really think my tank looks that good, or are you just being 'nice'?
The anemone looks exactly the same as it did when I took the pics. Tentacles are still a little thinner than I would expect, but maybe that just normal for this one.
It does definately move in relation to the light and quickly at that. It moves easily 6" in all directions towards the strongest light source. Luckily for me, when the halide directly above it comes on, it centers itself right under it and reaches up.
Very cool!
Thanks again all for the compliments. I don't think I really deserve them, but I am grateful that you enjoy my tank.

illcssd
11/30/2006, 12:59 AM
You should start a post in general discussion or somewhere with a bunch of pics and some full tank shots. That would be cool.

raoul
11/30/2006, 11:49 AM
Yes, your tank is that good! Paul and I saw it last year when we went in on a group sps order. It was heavy sps and gorgreous! Paul was stunned by all the beautiful sps and all the fish swimming around, I think that's one of the reasons we're doing a heavier fish load on the 75. I loved your black clowns with the rose bta. I'd thought about doing that and then when I saw yours, I was sure I wanted that combo! I've been a good girl and I'm waiting like I should before I begin my search for a good looking rbta! Anyway, you deserve the compliments on the tank, you need to do another group order of something so we can see the tank now with that beautiful anemone!
Great job!

Reef4Fun
11/30/2006, 01:22 PM
Your tank is beyond good, I honestly think that your pictures should be used for clubs (I belong to CVRC, Chemical Valley Reef Club,) for people to not only see what they can do, but to also see what healthy animals look like and what to strive for. I think not only that your tank is beautiful, but that you could do wonderful things with it, such as sharing your pics for educational reasons. Congrads, I would love to have half of what your tank is one day.

delphinus
11/30/2006, 02:25 PM
Perhaps it's the depth of the tank, perhaps it's your photography skills, perhaps it's a combination of other things but your tank really does photograph *that* well. I've been in the hobby nearly 10 years now (not quite, maybe 1 more to go!!) and I can honestly say I don't feel inadequate about my tanks .. until I see yours. :p So .. um .. yeah, thanks a lot BTW!!! ;)

No seriously there is something about yours that make photographs about it stand out over most.