PDA

View Full Version : Question about lighting

Natemania
11/28/2006, 09:49 PM
I was wondering if i was planning on haveing a FO tank if i would need any lighting?

sir_dudeguy
11/28/2006, 09:53 PM
Other than a good colored (for viewing of course) normal output strip light, no youd dont need any lighting at all. A very common missunderstanding by people just getting into the hobby is that live rock needs light...but it does not :) And Fish only tanks (without live rock) REALLY dont need light lol.

hope this helps

cilyjr
11/28/2006, 09:54 PM
you don't NEED it but viewing will suck. also fish hunt using sight so get the cheap pc lighting atleast

serpentman
11/28/2006, 09:55 PM
Like Sir Dudeguy said. Liking in a FOWLR is primarily for your enjoyment of your specimens. If you do run NO bulbs, I suggest you use one actinic as it will bring out the color of a lot of your fish.

sir_dudeguy
11/28/2006, 09:55 PM
I wouldnt even get pc lights if you're sure you're not gonna add corals to this tank. And at any point, you can always just get the pc later...not like you really lost anything by paying only 30 or so bucks for a strip light and a good colored bulb

cilyjr
11/28/2006, 09:57 PM
live rock without lighting grows some really cool stuff. reefs are deep and some areas of rock support a lot of life don't have much light. look at steve tryee's cryptic zones book!