PDA

View Full Version : What do you think this is worth?

Lyscer
11/28/2006, 11:24 PM
What do you guys think this pom pom xenia is worth? It is around a 13" ball and all of it is attached to 1 rock, the stock is extremely thick not sure how thick though. Thanks.

http://www.aquaaddict.org/Tank/Tank2006/November/11-15/pompom.jpg

Hormigaquatica
11/29/2006, 12:58 AM
If youre looking to sell it, I highly suggest splitting it into numerous individual stalks as opposed to one large piece. Around here (central OH), a stalk retails for $20-30, but 10 stalks all on the same rock would Never bring $200-$300. I could see $150 tops for a colony that size if you found someone specifically looking for a large group rather than wanting to grow out a couple smaller pieces. Of course, the trick is to find 2 people who really want it and let the bidding war begin ;)

Lyscer
11/29/2006, 01:13 AM
My problem is that it is almost(1/2" away) going into my powerhead and there isn't really any other place that I could put it. I thought about chopping it in the center so that one half has all of the stocks and the other half has some stalks/heads. I'm not sure how well that would work, but it looks like that is what I will probably do. Thanks.

jbittner
11/29/2006, 08:48 AM
frag that baby and sell the frags!!! my xenia is less the 1/2 inch away from my seio 820 and has actually been caught by it once. I just pulled it out and it started pulsing right away. Xenia in supper easy to frag. gently grab a stalk and slowly pull it away from the rock, then place it in a low flow area and let it attach to a piece of rubble or substrate. then sell it to you LFS for more corals.

Pete1399
11/30/2006, 11:42 PM
You can also put some rubble or a small rock in a cup to decrease the flow. You could cut that colony up with a razor very easily. Xenia will stand up to this. It will reattach itself within about a week and be ready to sell.

Cuby2k
12/01/2006, 01:00 AM
Lyscer, PM sent.

Lyscer
12/01/2006, 07:10 AM
I have fragged this piece a couple of times since I purchased it and it has grown onto some rocks in my tank where I will cut off the stalk when it grows but will leave a small stub intact. Then repeat the process a couple months later. I have done that 3 times now. In the words of ludacris its my "money maker"