PDA

View Full Version : which hang on skimmer is the best

hernluis
11/29/2006, 10:05 AM
i'm looking for a new hang on skimmer, i have a prizm already but which skimmer is the best.
thanks alot

furforfour
11/29/2006, 10:21 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=981833

jimbo045
11/29/2006, 10:30 AM
SeaClone 100, I say. And use too. JD

nemonick84
11/29/2006, 10:58 AM
IMO, any of the Coralife Super Skimmers. I used a Seaclone before and it was absolute garbage - as the majority of reefers on here will tell you as well. The CSS's are well-built and affordable. Can't go wrong.

Nick

The Saltwater Kid
11/29/2006, 11:15 AM
CSS will overflow if not properly adjusted and needs adjusting almost daily from what I've heard. Sure they're cheap and work well when setup properly but do you want to have to worry about if the things going to flood your floor each day or do you want a skimmer that costs a little more and may not skim quite as much but is bulletproof, dependable and needs very little adjusting. If you choose the latter many people have recommended me to get an Aqua C Remora. Every skimmer has it's pro's and con's, either it's overpriced, doesn't skim well or has overflow/leaking issues or works great but costs a fortune or is cheap and doesn't work well or has a huge pump that takes up a good portion of your tank...it's all up to you and how much you're looking to spend and what looks aesthetically pleasing to you. Good luck!

RichConley
11/29/2006, 11:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8642403#post8642403 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Saltwater Kid
CSS will overflow if not properly adjusted and needs adjusting almost daily from what I've heard. Sure they're cheap and work well when setup properly but do you want to have to worry about if the things going to flood your floor each day or do you want a skimmer that costs a little more and may not skim quite as much but is bulletproof, dependable and needs very little adjusting. If you choose the latter many people have recommended me to get an Aqua C Remora. Every skimmer has it's pro's and con's, either it's overpriced, doesn't skim well or has overflow/leaking issues or works great but costs a fortune or is cheap and doesn't work well or has a huge pump that takes up a good portion of your tank...it's all up to you and how much you're looking to spend and what looks aesthetically pleasing to you. Good luck!

Dont comment on skimmers you dont own.

The CSS is a much better skimmer than the remora. I've owned both.

hangles
11/29/2006, 11:33 AM
I have a bak-pak that works great. its a little funny about setting the cup height but after its set it runs good !

110galreef
11/29/2006, 11:48 AM
Aqua C remora Pro!
Coralife SS next!

Lugnut
11/29/2006, 12:29 PM
Deltec MCE600. $$$ but excellent.

cristhiam
11/29/2006, 12:46 PM
It's really hard to overflow with a seaclone :) hardly skims. I owned one on a 55G and I had to do every mod available. I've been running a proclear acuatics 150 on my 125 and it did ok until it started leaking, now I'm waiting for the CSS 125!! I'll post how it goes :)

The Saltwater Kid
11/29/2006, 01:14 PM
RichConley I'm mearly passing on information that was given to me. We all know you love the CSS and hate the Remora, that's fine, it's your perogative...everybody is entitled to their opinion...that's one reason America is such a great country. The CSS may indeed be a better skimmer then a Remora in your eyes but it may not in others. Am I saying that the CSS is a poor skimmer, not at all...I'm sure it does a fine job but it is widely known on here that they require extra attention and lot's more adjusting and/or mods to get it dialed in correctly and they do have an overflow issue...almost everyone who owns one admits to that on RC. So in conclusion will a properly dialed in CSS outskim a Remora...there's definitely a chance it will but for a lot of people they don't want to worry about having to fiddle with their skimmer constantly and do mods to it or worry about it flooding their floor if they don't get the thing set up just right, they might be happier with a remora that will do a good job for tanks 55 gallons and under and is one of the most reliable and user friendly HOB skimmers out there. In the end of course it's all up to the individual and what they think is the best they can afford. Peace and happy reefing!!!

mg426
11/29/2006, 01:33 PM
The Remora I have skims pretty well. It has a big ugly pump you have to look at though. The CSS 220 I had was a turd. Would not work or skim ever.