PDA

View Full Version : How fast can I raise calcium

syilk1
11/29/2006, 02:15 PM
My calcium is at 340 and wanted to get back to 450, Can I just dose more part A of 2 part supplement. My alk is fine at 11?

Wondered if rasining calcium too fast would hurt anything?

jzdad
11/29/2006, 03:27 PM
syilk1

I had that problem once and it was almost a disaster I added more calcium from my 2 part and wham the alk went crazy so I tried to get the alk up wham the calcium when crazy. What I learn now is to do it slowly. I added some extra cal( like instead of 25ml I added 35ml) and monitored it every 24hrs and keep a watch on the alk so that didnt go crazy and added the same day after day until everything was where I wanted it. It worked for me .I hoped that helped.

I could be wrong but a drastic change in anything in this hobby can cause a disaster and as much as this hobby can cost one . It is best to do it nice and slow I believe they call that patience and sometimes I have none but I think twice when i get an idea to rush or hurry ,I stop and i think ,I dont need a bigger problem. good luck

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/29/2006, 03:43 PM
I'd raise it over 2 days. This calculator shows how much to use:

Reef chemicals calculator
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

syilk1
11/29/2006, 04:57 PM
WOW calculator says I will need 1000ml, That is a lot of part A. I just finished my Kalwasser setup top off but will it get deficient levels up quick enough? Or should I dose 500 ml of Part A today and 500 tomm.
Or will the 1 tsp per gallon of kalwasser raise it up during top off.

bertoni
11/29/2006, 05:12 PM
The kalk drip probably won't be able to raise calcium very much because it's relatively dilute and only can be added slowly. I'd probably try 300-400 ml of the part A and then run a calcium test again.