PDA

View Full Version : Advice on clean up crew

loves saltwater
11/29/2006, 09:33 PM
I would like to know what is the clean up crew to get CC substrate ?

drummereef
11/29/2006, 11:34 PM
I personally wouldn't use crushed coral in a reef tank. Can develop major nitrate issues. The best way to clean your cc is to vacuum at every water change. If you use a fine aragonite sand, then you can employ a cleanup crew. Other than that, maybe some trochus or turbos to keep your glass clean.

loves saltwater
11/30/2006, 05:26 PM
I have figured that out but before I found RC I set my tank up with CC.I am scared to change out the CC now and screw up my tanks.I do line the look of aragonite sand.

TekCat
11/30/2006, 05:32 PM
You do you think removing CC will screw up your tank? Granted, that removing it all in one scoop, will probably upset bio-filtration and you might have a small cycle. But, if you remove it gradually, lets say 1/4 per week, then, IMHO it should be ok.

loves saltwater
11/30/2006, 05:39 PM
So how would be the best way to do it scrape the CC out of 1/4 of the tank then place the sand ?then the next week do the same thing ? any suggestions ?

TekCat
11/30/2006, 06:13 PM
I'd remove slowly existing sand, 1/4 at a time, but hold on putting new sand after I cleaned up everything. This will give better cleaning IMO, and some of new sand wont be removed along with CC.

loves saltwater
11/30/2006, 09:35 PM
I'm confused if I take all of the CC before putting the sand back in won't that have an adverse effect on my bio filter ?

TekCat
12/01/2006, 02:13 AM
Well, it will, but if you remove it slowly so the bacteria on rocks takes over the tasks of bacteria living in the CC. There are lots of successful bare bottom tanks, so as long as you have at least 1 pound per gallon of LR, you don't need sand at all as a "bio-filtration device". Again, the key is to make changes slow, taking small portions of the CC out, and letting the tank's bio-system a chance to adjust.

loves saltwater
12/01/2006, 05:41 AM
Ok I got it now.Thanks for all you advice... !

TekCat
12/01/2006, 03:41 PM
You're welcome.

Reef ON!