PDA

View Full Version : Clown lying on side.

akopley
11/30/2006, 10:38 AM
I just got a false percula clown yesterday. i accimated him correctly and he seemed fine all day and late into last night. This morning he started lying around on the bottom of the tank. He is breathing heavy and not looking so hot. Is there anything i can do for him and is there any chance he will pull through? Its not looking to good right now.

akopley
11/30/2006, 10:53 AM
nevermind my frogfish just ate him...damn't thats the third clown that has been consumed in my tank.

papagimp
11/30/2006, 11:06 AM
I bought a clown once that did just that, minus the whole being devoired by a frogfish. He went so quickly there was nothing to be done. Another reason to make sure to buy healthy livestock and QT them for an appropriate amount of time. A healthier fish is less likely to look like food to more aggressive fish. And if it does seem tasty, he would stand a better chance at getting away. My clown never made it past the acclimation point, dead within minutes of getting him home and the LFS basically told me "tough, no guarentees on livestock". See if your store will allow you to return the "defective product"

akopley
11/30/2006, 11:09 AM
i dont have any product left to return...plus i ordered him from marinedepotlive.com which in the past has always given me good livestock. I have never qt any fish...how necessary is this step?

papagimp
11/30/2006, 11:18 AM
I have never QTed my fish either, and I've payed for it in the past. I have recently set up a QT tank so as not to have any further problems. This is probably one of the most important step when getting new livestock, weather it be corals or fish. The agony, money, and time saved by QT will be worth it. Just think, you stick on fish with one small ich parasite on him in your tank, and theres a very very good chance that you are going to have to remove all fish from you tank, leave it fallow (fishless) for 6-8 weeks, medicate the fish (all fish, weather they showed signs or not, leave one fish in a tank with ich, and you won't get rid of it).
Alternativley, think about sticking a coral in your tank, the coral stressing out, brown jelly infection, high current, lot's and lot's of dead corals. It one of those "better safe than sorry" things. You never know what kind of sickly parasite or fungas, or bacteria your fish may be bringing in to your tank. The cost of all your current livestock wouldn't be worth rushing anything in this hobby. I've lost my fair share of fish due to sheer stupidity.

crazy4salt
11/30/2006, 01:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8649467#post8649467 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by akopley
nevermind my frogfish just ate him...damn't thats the third clown that has been consumed in my tank.

May I ask why you continue to put them in the tank??????

spanglish
11/30/2006, 02:34 PM
Well at least the frogfish is well fed!:D

cristhiam
11/30/2006, 02:41 PM
live food for the frogfish. Sorry about the clown but sooner or later the frogfish will eat any small fish that can fit in his mouth.

akopley
11/30/2006, 09:25 PM
The first clown he ate was very small...the one i placed in was almost as long as the frogfish, i made a judgement error in his ability to eat fish equal to his own size. You can see the massive bulge in his stomach still.

JeffReef
11/30/2006, 09:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8650905#post8650905 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by spanglish
Well at least the frogfish is well fed!:D

:D

drummereef
11/30/2006, 09:33 PM
This is out of hand... :smokin:

cristhiam
11/30/2006, 09:41 PM
expensive sushi :)

ACBlinky
11/30/2006, 10:17 PM
I see a couple issues here... the clowns aren't being quarantined, which would give you the opportunity to observe them and medicate if necessary, and you're mixing incompatible species. Frogfish will eat any other fish they can catch, up to nearly their own size -- IMO it's not a matter of if any future clowns will be eaten, but when. I'd consider keeping the frog in your sump/fuge, or setting up a species tank.