PDA

View Full Version : 125g Problems - Do I need a new tank?

Hopeful Reefer
11/30/2006, 11:19 AM
Last evening, I went and picked up a 125g tank from a fellow reefer near me. He informed me up front that there were scratches on the glass, because the tank was previously used as a reptile tank by the person he got the tank from (he got a different tank a few days after getting this one and wanted that size instead.)

Here is the pic of the tank he had in his "for sale" thread...

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p290/Hopeful_Reefer/125g%20Reef%20Tank/125g_PreSale.jpg

If you look close, you can see a slight haze on the front of the glass. These are the scratches. When I picked up the tank, the guy I got it from said he recently filled the tank with water and none of the scratches showed. Not sure if he had lights on when he did this, because I've heard that lights make those types of scratches show up again. Some are too deep to buff out, but much of the haze will come out once I buff it. I plan on buffing the least scratched side and that will be the front. The 2 sides and the back will then be painted blue.

Now...here comes my biggest dilema. When I woke up this morning and looked at the tank in the sun light, I was shocked. The scratches are more than I originally saw (guess lots of buffing for me :mad2: ) Whats worse, the silicone inside doesn't seem to be in good shape (not sure if this is because it was a reptile tank or not.)

Here are some shots of the silicone. These first 2 pics are of the corners. You can see how the silicone is discolored. It is very brittle in some spots. It is missing some chunks along the edges, but I haven't noticed any missing near the joint itself. Also, the outsides of the tank for all of the joints looks pristine.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p290/Hopeful_Reefer/125g%20Reef%20Tank/125g_Silicone_Corner1.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p290/Hopeful_Reefer/125g%20Reef%20Tank/125g_Silicone_Corner2.jpg

These next two pictures show the corner joints at the bottom. You can see that the silicone for the most part on the bottom of the tank is in decent shape. going up from there though is what you saw in the previous 2 pics.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p290/Hopeful_Reefer/125g%20Reef%20Tank/125g_Silicone_Corner3.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p290/Hopeful_Reefer/125g%20Reef%20Tank/125g_Silicone_Corner4.jpg

Now, in saying that the silicone along the bottom is in decent shape, there are a few areas that are starting to peel along the top edge of the silicone. I plan on having a DSB so this will cover the silicone on the bottom, so I'm not sure if this makes a different. It is hard to see in this picture, but this is the best I could get.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p290/Hopeful_Reefer/125g%20Reef%20Tank/125g_Silicone_Bottom.jpg

So, do I need to tear apart the tank and redo everything? I know I can't put new silicone over old (or can I :confused: ?) Do I need to get my money back? Can I just leave well enough alone? Like I said, I looked on the outside of the tank at the corner joints and the silicone looks pristine there. Anyone have any ideas? I am at a loss here, and I don't want my money to have been wasted.

Help!!

Bradco
11/30/2006, 12:22 PM
To be on the Safe side and save you alot of aggrevation, and money that you will lose by setting it all up and finding a flood or maybe even worse, buy another one!

drummereef
11/30/2006, 12:26 PM
I don't think those scratches are anything to worry about as far as structural integrity, but I would almost bet you will see at least a few of them when the tank is filled. If you are that worried about it, then I would get a new tank.

papagimp
11/30/2006, 12:51 PM
stick it in the garage, fill it with water and give it time, see if it busts open or not. personally i wouldn't want one with major scartches since you are going to be staring at the thing alot.

MC Lighting
11/30/2006, 01:00 PM
redo the silicone joints and it would make a perfect sump....

papagimp
11/30/2006, 01:01 PM
That it would, good advice MC

phil5613
11/30/2006, 07:23 PM
Redo all the silicone and remember all those minor scratches may not show in water but when the algae starts to show up it will make all those scratches visible. so even after all the resealing work you will still have a scratched up tank

Whaledriver
11/30/2006, 07:31 PM
If this is a grow out tank and it doesn't matter then its ok

If this is your only tank and you really care about looking into the aquarium then sell it to a animal keeper. The scratches are not going to buff out and the tank will always be a compromise. In the end the tank is not the most expensive element of a set up so don't start compromising on the one item that matters if you want to look at the fish.

With that being said I have gotten tanks that had scratches on the back glass and they never bothered me since the tank was up against a wall.

FLricordia
11/30/2006, 07:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8650244#post8650244 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MC Lighting
redo the silicone joints
For sure. I ahev kept many reptiles and one thing you have to be careful of is the silicone retaining the urine of reptiles. It is best to take it off ond redo it. It can leach out. Also many use reptile products for mite control that can work down into the seals and release with high PH levels. Basically-poisons. Clean, clean, clean after reptile use and before reef tank use.

english83
11/30/2006, 09:04 PM
I'm also a reptile owner and the discoloration could be from the substrate used. But I wonder what kind of reptile was in there. I have a dearded draogn and the boyfriend has 2 skinks. I have never seen visible scratches on any of the tanks. Deep clean more than once to make sure you get any possible chemicals out. I would also fill the tank after cleaning and redoing the seals, just to make sure everything is good.

Hopeful Reefer
11/30/2006, 09:49 PM
The discoloration is more prominent at the top versus the bottom...the bottom isn't that bad coloring wise...

Ocicat
11/30/2006, 09:56 PM
Isn't it bad to use a tank that has been dry for an extended period of time (years)? I guess if you redo the silicon, that would solve any potential problems from that.

Personally I wouldn't even think of redoing my own silicon, but then I'm not good with DIY. Still, it is often said that even though it seems pricey up front, the tank is one of the cheapest parts of this hobby. IMO it would be more than worth it to get a new - or at least newer - tank.

Hopeful Reefer
12/01/2006, 05:32 PM
Ok...after talking with numerous people about this, I've decided that the tank should not be trusted with livestock...this is not a matter of if the tank is going to crash but rather when...I have spoken with fellow reef enthusiasts as well as a few professionals (although I still didn't get a response from AGA yet, but I imagine it will confirm what I already think.) So, with that in mind I've requested to return the item and receive my money back...now I'm just waiting from a response from the seller...

On a brighter note...I spoke with one of the owners of an excellent LFS here in town (Atlantis Aquariums (http://www.atlantisva.com)) 2 nights ago and he told me about a "Christmas Special" that he got in...it is a 75g tank, drilled, corner overflow, all bulkheads, a Durso standpipe and LocLine return fittings...all together for $180!! :eek1:

That was my reaction anyway when he told me this...so, I called today and spoke with another guy there...he said there was 1 left and it's now mine!! :D :smokin:

I'll be building a custom stand for it...as well as a DIY skimmer...I'll be starting a thread for myself as soon as I get the tank and can take a picture of it...it's going to be a slow go getting the tank started because of the cost, but I think in the end I'll be happy with the results...

Shagsbeard
12/01/2006, 06:28 PM
That's a great deal on the 75... grab it.

Swanwillow
12/01/2006, 06:58 PM
fwiw, I'd re-silicone it, and use it as a sump/grow out tank through the wall in the garage. I had to re-silicone my current tank a year ago (wow-long time) cause it HAD started leaking.

just keep it around re-siliconed, you may want to start your own SPS/Zoanthid selling business someday. Or a HUGE refugium for those mandarins you want...

dbrann11
12/01/2006, 09:34 PM
I just recently re-sealed a tank that someone else made a mess of... its not bad. The worst part is cutting the old silicone out. You can make nice clean edges by using masking tape and peeling it off right after you lay down the silicone. The 2nd worst part is the acetic acid fume while you have your head in the tank haha.

Hopeful Reefer
12/02/2006, 06:19 AM
I have spoke with the seller and he is refunding my money via PayPal today...thanks everyone for your responses...watch for my 75g tank thread to start soon.

Michael Mota
12/02/2006, 05:01 PM
Good deal on the 75. I totally agree with most of the opinions here, you have some good advice.