PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone ever gotten rid of CAULERPA!?

unclereefer
11/30/2006, 11:42 AM
I am at my wits end! I love this hobby and i love working on my aquarium, but it has gotten to the point where it feels like all i do is spend hours trying to pull all of this stuff out of my tank. Part of the problem is that i have hatian live rock, which is folded with lots of crevices i can't get in to. Please, if anyone has any information that could help, please tell me. thanks

cubber
11/30/2006, 11:47 AM
tangs!

fishysteve
11/30/2006, 12:04 PM
What kind of caulerpa?

techigirl78
11/30/2006, 12:05 PM
I used a tang to get rid of mine, but that may not be an option if you are talking about the 37 gallon. I'd probably use a dremel and remove the pieces of rock where it is connected.

unclereefer
11/30/2006, 12:06 PM
It's grape caulerpa. What kind of tang will eat this stuff?

TropTrea
11/30/2006, 12:17 PM
My old Scopia cleaned it out real nice out of old 75 gallon. The Kole and Yellow Tangs I had did not even seem interested in it. But if you only have a 37 gallon tank I'd opt for about 6 emerald crabs that do munch on the stuff ocassionally. Another possible option might be urchins.

Dennis

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8649910#post8649910 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by unclereefer
It's grape caulerpa. What kind of tang will eat this stuff?

unclereefer
11/30/2006, 12:24 PM
do emerald crabs cause any problems with astrea snails?

Sk8r
11/30/2006, 12:26 PM
A purple tang will eat it slowly. A tripneustes gracilis urchin will eat it, but cannot get the roots. My advice would be pretty awful: upgrade to a 75. You have all the gear. You have the sand and rock. What you need is room to host a fish that can do the job. Investigate the cost and consider Christmas.

rstark33
11/30/2006, 05:06 PM
Use a tang as a temporary solution. Your tank is a little small, but just harvest all you can, buy a small sized tang that was mentioned aboved. Keep it in there for a month and then sell it.
I bet you 37 gallon is bigger than the holding tank the tang is in right now......and may be in fo rthe next month.

Fishbulb2
11/30/2006, 05:09 PM
I definetely agree with rstark33. A used tang is very easy to sell off and the petstore might even take it back for partial store credit. Not a bad option considering your are close to pulling your hair out with this stuff.
FB

figuerres
11/30/2006, 05:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8649772#post8649772 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by unclereefer
I am at my wits end! I love this hobby and i love working on my aquarium, but it has gotten to the point where it feels like all i do is spend hours trying to pull all of this stuff out of my tank. Part of the problem is that i have hatian live rock, which is folded with lots of crevices i can't get in to. Please, if anyone has any information that could help, please tell me. thanks

in part I would ask "what is feeding it"

it will go away in time when you keep pulling it and find the source of the nit. and phos. that it needs to grow.

by pulling it out you are removing excess nutrients that otherwize would create some other bloom of alge or another pest like flatworms.

they are an effect of something in the tank. remove the cause.

jimbo045
11/30/2006, 05:40 PM
A tang. JD

TropTrea
11/30/2006, 10:30 PM
No... Where the main snail/crab conflict comes is with hermits that are looking for new shells. However large crabs of any type can kill small fish and are not strongly recommended with clams.

Dennis

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8650031#post8650031 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by unclereefer
do emerald crabs cause any problems with astrea snails?