PDA

View Full Version : writing a 'book' please help

goda
11/30/2006, 11:43 AM
i work at an lfs and alot of the people who get hired dont know to mucha bout reefing ( its really a petstore that just happens to be more then half fish)

while most of the people know most of the stuff ( or learn fast) i wanted to make a simple basic book for them

iv already decided to include many corals and there needs ( summed up in a few sentances / using pictures)
as well as equiptment needs ( mostly dealing with pumps)

what else do you think i should include?

keep inmind these people already know alot about freshwater

techigirl78
11/30/2006, 11:54 AM
My LFS uses the following graph and it is pretty nice: http://www.bestfish.com/newtank3.html Of course, I wouldn't subject fish to a tank break in period.

I'd also include a reference to liveaquaria fish compatibility chart: http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/compatibility_chart.cfm

I'd also probably want to list minimum tank requirements for commonly sold species.

UrbanSage
11/30/2006, 12:35 PM
Don't take this the wrong way :)
Have someone proof read the "book" for spelling errors and bad grammar.

fiftyfive
11/30/2006, 01:02 PM
iv gotta agree

fishysteve
11/30/2006, 01:41 PM
Yeah dat wood bee goode.

Steven Pro
11/30/2006, 01:47 PM
It would likely be easier to simply build a good reference library:

Mike Paletta's The New Marine Aquarium

Robert Fenner's The Conscientious Marine Aquarist

Eric Borneman's Aquarium Corals

Scott Michael's Marine Fishes (for quick reference)

RichConley
11/30/2006, 02:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8650583#post8650583 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Steven Pro
It would likely be easier to simply build a good reference library:

Mike Paletta's The New Marine Aquarium

Robert Fenner's The Conscientious Marine Aquarist

Eric Borneman's Aquarium Corals

Scott Michael's Marine Fishes (for quick reference)

Steve, I gotta disagree. You can't expect a $7/hr pet store employee to read all that stuff.

SuperNerd
11/30/2006, 02:23 PM
Another vote for reference library. Maybe you can highlight the parts you think are very important for them to know so they don't have to read each entire book?

techigirl78
11/30/2006, 02:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8650799#post8650799 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
Steve, I gotta disagree. You can't expect a $7/hr pet store employee to read all that stuff.

I agree with not trying to get them to read all the standard books. Maybe be willing to provide to those interested, but have a nice summary for what they can/should pass onto customers.

I actually prefer when my LFS simply let me know when the saltwater/reef knowledgeable employees will be in. Reef tanks are much to complicated for someone to explain to others without first hand experience.

Another option would be to create some nice articles to pass out to customers. One of my LFS does this and it is very helpful and well received.

Steven Pro
11/30/2006, 03:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8650799#post8650799 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
Steve, I gotta disagree. You can't expect a $7/hr pet store employee to read all that stuff. I used to when I worked at a LFS. ;) You just have to find the right people. Although, I was reading mostly Martin Moe, Peter Wilkens, and Sprung & Delbeek.

RichConley
11/30/2006, 03:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8651106#post8651106 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Steven Pro
I used to when I worked at a LFS. ;) You just have to find the right people. Although, I was reading mostly Martin Moe, Peter Wilkens, and Sprung & Delbeek.

Right, and we all know you love the hobby.

The problem is, in converted pet stores like his, the guy in the fish department today may be a dog/cat guy, and not a fish guy. You're not going to get someone who doesnt have a huge interest in this stuff to read it.

I think something like a training manual might be nice, but it would be tough to make it short, yet useful.

goda
11/30/2006, 09:11 PM
we have books everywhere. and somtimes they get used for fish id

alot of people dont have time to read those thick books

"I actually prefer when my LFS simply let me know when the saltwater/reef knowledgeable employees will be in. Reef tanks are much to complicated for someone to explain to others without first hand experience"

yeah we have it pretty well covered
fw guy
sw fish guys ( x 3)
coral and water quality and equiptment guy ( 1,, me)

as for the proof reading. my spelling isnt to great . but what you see now is mostly typing errors. i dont have a desk and am typing laying down on a bed lmao.

carpediem360
11/30/2006, 09:18 PM
If you don't already have it, I would include lighting for corals and placement in the tank. i went to my lfs and found sps on the bottom lite with vho.surprisingly most of the sps were dead. I wanted to say something but the live one was well on it's way out.

goda
11/30/2006, 10:32 PM
sps with vhos on the bottom is fine..
i do it

i have acros and hydnos well bellow the halfway line