PDA

View Full Version : micro bubbles from my sump

bvanhoveln
11/30/2006, 12:13 PM
I have recently set up a 90 gal reef - just added the LR for curing.

I am having a problem keeping micro bubbles from being sent to my tank from my sump.

I have the return line sent directly into the water which creates bubbles, in the same compartment of my sump is my skimmer. I then have a three baffle system where the water runs over 1, under the next and then over the last, down a few inches into the compartment with my return pump.

for some reason microbubbles are making the journey through these and into the last compartment.

How can I stop this?

Thanks

papagimp
11/30/2006, 12:24 PM
how tall are the baffles and how much flow is running through the sump? I use three baffles in my 10g refugium for a bubble trap, running only 300gph through it and i see no microbubbles at all. Is your skimmer kicking out alot of bubbles? Not the skimmate, but the water returning into the sump.?

TekCat
11/30/2006, 01:43 PM
Reduce the return flow, so the bubbles have less chance of getting through bubble trap. BTW, how big is your sump? And what is your return flow?

yakfishin
11/30/2006, 02:15 PM
I had a problem with microbubbles and found that my solution was to try to reduce as many bubbles as possible at the point of entry into the sump. I had room in my skimmer compartment, which was also where my water entered the sump, to place a small rubbermaid drinking bottle. I then drill a few holes in the bottom of this container for the water to exit. I had to build a shelf for the bottle, as my sump was too deep without it. Now bubbly water enters the container and 3/4 of the bubbles are gone before the water ever reaches the first baffle. I got this idea from another one similiar to it off a website. That guy had built his compartment out of acyrilic and had a few pieces of live rock rubble at the bottom which he said helped eleminate that many more bubbles. Hope you find a solution, I had a headache from trying to cure my microbubbles for awhile. I also have read that for whatever reason a brand new setup tends to produce more microbubbles then one that has been running for awhile. As the others have said, it would help to know the size of your sump and the amount of flow you have pushing through it. If your flow is really high, then the bubbles will just get pulled through too fast to have chance at dissipitating. Good luck.

bvanhoveln
11/30/2006, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the responses:

I am running a 30 gal sump (with probably about 18 gal in it)

I am using 9 inch baffles - with about 5 inches of water on the return pump side.

I am using a mag 7.5 as a return pump - I don't have the flow restricted at all.

I will try messing with the amount of bubbles entering the sump as well as restricting the flow from the pump - hopefully the combination with work.

Any other tricks people use?

papagimp
11/30/2006, 03:04 PM
don't restrict flow on the pump, will shorten life expetancy, you could put a line coming out of the return line, with a ball valve on it, aimed right back into the sump. Opening up the valve would allow water flow to be diverted back into the sump and slow down return flow to the tank without any possible damage to the pump.

yakfishin
11/30/2006, 03:06 PM
The mag drive can be restricted at 1/4 or 1/3 flow output without you having any problems. When it is time to be replaced you could look at the next size smaller model. What is the size of your aquarium?

papagimp
11/30/2006, 03:08 PM
Current Tanks: 90 Gallon Reef

Uncle Salty 05
11/30/2006, 03:14 PM
The source of your bubbles could be a tiny leak in your plumbing between the sump and the return pump. I had this problem and went over my connections with silicone and it stopped the bubbles.

yakfishin
11/30/2006, 03:21 PM
Papagimp probably has the better solution if you are worried about the life expectancy of the pump. Of greater concern, perhaps, might be extra heat to the water from the restriction. I have read where of all the pumps, the mag drives can handle the restricted flow better than others, and I believe even there instruction books say restricting the outflow is ok, but never the inflow. I would first try to just cut back on the bubbles. Placing filter floss for the water to run onto while entering the sump can really cut down on the bubbles, but also requires frequent changing to reduce nitrate problems.

bvanhoveln
11/30/2006, 03:22 PM
I thought about that as well - however, I can see the bubbles going around the baffles and over the wall into the last compartment. The last compartment doesn't look like there are too many bubbles, I may try this along with the T connection return.

yakfishin
11/30/2006, 03:33 PM
The mag 7, depending upon pipe size and length, is probably giving you around 500-550GPH. For a 90G this is giving you a 5+
flow through rate which is good if your sump volume is big enough to handle it, but with only 18G of water in the sump, the water is probably moving along at a right fast clip. If you have room in the compartment housing your return pump, you could try to cut a small food safe rubbermaid container in such a way that it shields the path of water around the intake (but don't restrict the intake) to act as a final deflector for any bubbles. Keep trying the different suggestions, it takes patience, but you'll find your solution.

TekCat
11/30/2006, 04:57 PM
Agree totally with slowing down the pump's output. If you don't like running pump with restricted output, you could T-off output with a ballvalve and divert some water back to sump's return area.

staticx
11/30/2006, 06:16 PM
If you have 9 inch baffles and 5 inch of water your water is dropping 4 inches in your return section creating bubbles, same thing happend in mine I just raised the water level.

TekCat
12/01/2006, 02:02 AM
Be careful raising water level. With elevated water level your sump should have enough volume to accomodate drainage when power goes out.

staticx
12/01/2006, 03:04 AM
True, I had to get a bigger sump to accomodate the water level but no more bubbles.