PDA

View Full Version : webcams on reef tank

EMBRYOGUY
11/30/2006, 03:24 PM
does anyone know how to setup a webcam on there reef tanks so you can view your tank online?

please offer suggestions for equipment also.

thank in adavance.

cubber
11/30/2006, 08:06 PM
Do you want the camera inside the tank or outside of it? There are many ways to go about doing this. I would stay away from USB cameras because your pc would have to be close to your tank. Your best bet would be to set up a wireless network in your house and get an IP based camera. Dlink sells a few different kinds and most of them are pretty good. You can get ones that operate on a wireless network so you don't even need to run a wire to your camera, just need power. Then just give it an IP address and forward a port on your router so that you can access the camera from the internet. If you have broadband I would suggest getting a wireless router like a linksys wrt54g. I know with the Dlink cameras you can embed the stream into a web page if you want.

here is a good wireless camera that has pan and tilt:
http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=342

here is the wireless router:
http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=342

With these 2 items you don't even need a computer to run the camera because it has its own built in webserver. The only time you will need a pc is to set the camera up, record the video, or view the camera over the internet.

Chad Vossen
11/30/2006, 08:39 PM
1. I cant wait for you to get the webcam going.

2. this sounds easy enough i might try it.

3. if i set up a web cam for my reef tank, i can watch my fish while im at college. and watch embryoguy's clownfish :)

Thank you cubber

cubber
11/30/2006, 09:56 PM
No problem. It is actually very easy to do, I set up a whole security survellance system where I work with the wired version of those cameras. I have 15 of them on a network and I set it up so all the cameras are veiwable over the internet to authorized users only, via a company intranet website. Post your progress, I will gladly help you through it. The nice thing about those cameras is you can control the pan and tilt over the web by using controls on the web page. Also multiple users can access the same camera at the same time.

EMBRYOGUY
11/30/2006, 10:17 PM
cubber THANK YOU very much. ill check them out. and give update.

thank thank you.

cubber
12/01/2006, 07:04 AM
Your welcome and good luck!