PDA

View Full Version : Nori Question..help needed for feeding

Serioussnaps
11/30/2006, 04:29 PM
I have been trying to decide whether or not to feed the nori you can buy at a grocery store and the kind that is packaged for the hobbyist at the LFS. I am speaking of the flat green sheets of nori.

I can tell no difference between the two....texture, smell, flavor(yeah i tasted it) seem to be the same, HOWEVER....

The aquarium packaged claims protein to a be a minimum of (i have seen a range) 40-70 %, but the nori you see in regular grocery stores says about a minimum of 6 %. Because they give a minimum you cant really say which one has more protein because all it is is a min, so the 6 percent could really be 90 percent and same for the hobbyist packaged nori. But the packaging leaves me to believe the nori you see at the lfs has more protein.

This could be explained by the different standards of nutritional facts on a packaging for something that is sold for HUMAN CONSUMPTION and one that is sold for FISH CONSUMPTION/HOBBYIST PURPOSES. Really the hobby company could list whatever the heck they want i assume.

I could rant on but really my questions are:

IS THERE A DIFFERENCE?

IS IT JUST PACKAGING/MARKETING DIFFERENCES?

IS ONE REALLY BETTER FOR OUR PURPOSES THAN THE OTHER?
obviously my reasons for the questions is one is way more cost effective than the other

Asking because i just bought a foxface and i know he needs his greens----only had him for 24 hours but hes not touching formula 2 flake as of yet.

Ruu
11/30/2006, 04:57 PM
I feed my tang on sheets I bought in bulk at an Asian supermarket. As long as you make sure that the Nori you buy just has seaweed in it (ie no flavorings/preservatives etc) then I really doubt there will be much difference. Aside from the price.

Dave

jpslickorocks
11/30/2006, 05:21 PM
I feed the asian supermarket nori as well. $8 for 100 sheets and they love it. Just make sure you get the unsalted unflavored stuff

Mariner
11/30/2006, 05:50 PM
I have also fed nori purchased at an Asian food store. Occasionally I soak it in a little multivitamin solution (Kent Zoe) to boost its nutritional value before feeding .
FWIW, I don't know if there's any real difference between the Nori packaged for fish and that packaged for humans. Low protein content would not be a great concern IMO though because Tangs eat such large quantities of the stuff, that they'll get plenty of protein, even if the percentage is low. In fact, in the natural world, most herbivores eat much greater quantities than other animals to compensate for the low protein/fat levels in the foods they eat.
HTH,
Mariner

Serioussnaps
11/30/2006, 07:50 PM
Thanks

I am having more trouble getting my new foxface to eat than my old Copperband and Dispar Anthias tank, go figure.

I am about to check the package for actual ingredients on the stuff i got from HT. It is green dry, and when you put it in the tank it turns red....so i think it may have something else in it.

My foxface is probably one of the dumbest fish i have ever owned, although he has been in the tank for only 24 hours.