PDA

View Full Version : Coral Beauty Reef Safe?

THB
11/30/2006, 06:48 PM
Does anyone have any experience with Coral Beauty dwarf angels in their reef tanks? I would really like one, but hear iffy reports on their safeness with corals. Any first hand knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Bender
11/30/2006, 08:11 PM
I just had to remove one from my tank last week. He was a beautiful fish that I only had for about three weeks. He was picking at almost every coral in the tank. They are hit or miss, so I will probably give another one a try.

skippy2
11/30/2006, 08:27 PM
I have heard both pros and cons for yrs about the coral beauty. I have had mine for a few yrs. in a full reef and hasn't touched a coral yet.

THB
11/30/2006, 09:35 PM
Wow. I have a flame angel that is gorgeous. He has been in the tank 6 months and went for every LPS I tried. Luckily I had another tank to move them. So over time one tank became LPS and the tank with the Flame Angel became softies and polyps because he never bothered them. Well just this week, he evidently decided he needed some Xenia and Ricordia in his diet. Long story short, Sir Nips Alot is going to a new home tomorrow. Very sad. Wondered if I might have better luck with Coral Beauty, but sounds like it is a 50/50 chance. Thanks for the input, guys.

Gundo5000
11/30/2006, 11:07 PM
Years ago I had a CB and he knipped at softies like xenia, anthelia and others.

They're hit and miss like many other dwarf angels.

Blazer88
12/01/2006, 09:06 AM
I had a Coral Beauty that nipped at every coral in my tank and nearly killed my open brain. It would also bully my clowns, nip at my Yasha Haze goby, and chased two firefish out of my tank. I was more than happy to see her go.

THB
12/01/2006, 09:45 AM
A couple of clownfish are starting to look very good to me about now!LOL

printedpaper
12/01/2006, 09:59 AM
Ive got a Coral Beauty in my 90 with a Frog Spawn, some mushrooms,candycane and some zoo's. It has not bothered any of them. I've had it for about 3 months.

pancho
12/01/2006, 10:28 AM
I recently got rid of mine. He was in a reef tank with lps, softies, and clams which he did not bother. I recently added sps and he would not stop nipping at them.

Blazer88
12/01/2006, 11:07 AM
I should also say that mine was fine for six months before turning into a terror. I *thought* it was reef safe and I got lucky but time proved me wrong.

THB
12/01/2006, 04:35 PM
I think I will just pick something else. Too much stress and turmoil if it doesn't work out for me and the angel. Thanks for the help.