PDA

View Full Version : In what order should I purchase my planned tank inhabitants?

miston
11/30/2006, 08:05 PM
I have a 12 gallon Nanocube, around 12 to 14 lbs live rock, 1.5 to 2 inch live sand bed. My cycle finished in July, and I've just added my cleaning crew about a month ago:

3 scarlett hermits
6 nassarius snails
6 astrea snails
4 cerith snails

Before I add any corals I want to add the following:

A yellow watchman goby
A Randalli Pistol shrimp
2 False Ocellaris Clowns

In what order should I purchase these? What would be best? Does it matter?

I was thinking it would be better to get the Yellow Watchman Goby and the Randalli Pistol shrimp. Since they are the shyest they would be more comfortable if they adjusted to their new home by themselves.

Then I was thinking of getting the False Ocellaris Clowns. Would it be better to get them 3 or 4 months apart, so that one will be bigger than the other (this helps for them to pair?)? Or can I just get them both at the same time?

Or would it be better to get the goby and the shirmp separately?

thanks for any suggestions

THB
12/01/2006, 05:48 AM
I think you are right about adding the watchman and pistol shrimp first. But if I understand correctly,you can add two young clowns at the same time, and one of them becomes the female.

skeeter-doc
12/01/2006, 10:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8655702#post8655702 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by THB
I think you are right about adding the watchman and pistol shrimp first. But if I understand correctly,you can add two young clowns at the same time, and one of them becomes the female.

I agree on both accts

dbraun15
12/01/2006, 11:28 AM
The only problem with adding the goby and pistol shrimp first is that they aren't as active as the clowns--I added a six line first because I wanted some movement and activity in my tank--also, I'm not sure the clowns would ever bother the goby due to the differences in their swimming channels--just a thought--

tkeracer619
12/01/2006, 11:32 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8657358#post8657358 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dbraun15
The only problem with adding the goby and pistol shrimp first is that they aren't as active as the clowns--I added a six line first because I wanted some movement and activity in my tank--also, I'm not sure the clowns would ever bother the goby due to the differences in their swimming channels--just a thought--

Wow a six line first! They can be very mean and nasty to new entries especially in a small tank.

I don't think it really matters what order you put those fish in. I would put the pair of clowns in last though just in case they set up shop and dont like guests.