PDA

View Full Version : At what age do Clowns start to change sex?

Hugeness
11/30/2006, 08:23 PM
I'm trying to mix some false percs together. Just wondering if there's a certain size or age before the juvies turn male/female etc.

GSMguy
11/30/2006, 11:17 PM
its about enviroment size matters more than age

Hugeness
12/01/2006, 12:33 AM
so at what size do they start to turn into lil boys and girls?

GSMguy
12/01/2006, 12:38 AM
when they get some time to hang out and get to know eachother

Hugeness
12/01/2006, 01:05 AM
So then you're saying size doesn't matter... (it's how you use it...)

Anyways, your answer is unresponsive... and doesn't really flow with your previous post. If you don't know that's ok... but plz don't confuse and puzzle the confuzzled.

Thx!

rachelcb80
12/01/2006, 09:36 AM
I don't personally know but 12-24 months of age is what I've read.

Hugeness
12/01/2006, 09:49 AM
Thank you. That's promising. :)

JHardman
12/01/2006, 11:40 AM
Read the FAQ at the top of the forum, it will answer all your questions...

GSMguy
12/01/2006, 12:07 PM
you asked at what size i dont know about size but i know with juvenile clowns they sex at some point in the pairing procces while deciding who is going to be the mal and who is going to be female i have heard of 8 year old sexless clownfish so age is unimportant i was being alouf because you have allot of waiting and paitence ahead with raising them they will not grow up and have babies very fast it takes time sorry for not being specific
in my first post i meant the enviroment their in whether its a breeders tank with 100 fish in it or the store alone or your house alone your house in a group all that matters so foryou and pairing clowns get two that are different sizes a larger one and a small one it will help them figure it all out

Hugeness
12/01/2006, 07:36 PM
I understand you're trying to help and I greatly appreciate it. Perhaps its just me, but I have a hard time understanding you clearly. Which is probably why it seemed confuzzling.

The faq was indeed helpful yet since I wasn't there for the hatching of these clowns its hard to say what age they currently are... Anyone know the average growth rate of tank raised false percs? Or anyone have a guess as to how old a 1.25 inch false perc might be?

Thx!

OrionN
12/01/2006, 08:37 PM
The answer is vague because the question you ask have no clear answer. When the clown change to male, female depends on more than just age or size. The general condition and environment plus size and likely the present of other clowns have input into development and sex of the clown. There are male Ocellaris that is almost 2 inches long while there are also females (dominate of two but not breeding anyway) that are 1 inch long.
The second question regarding the growth rate of clown is also depends of the condition of the tank, and how much you feed them. My A. percula go from 1 inch to 1.25 inch in 4-5 weeks.
Sorry, I don't have a number for you but if I were you, I would not trust a fix number answer for the questions you asked.

Hugeness
12/01/2006, 10:10 PM
Being vague and confusing are different things. I was just saying that GSMguy was being confusing. I have no issues with vague answers. In fact, vague is precisely what i'm looking for. Just some general guidelines that someone might of known offhand. I'm not looking for hard and fast rules that obviously don't exist.

Sexing has been resolved the old fashioned way anyways. Just throw em together and figure it out. Thx folks.

OrionN
12/01/2006, 10:18 PM
How about this:
If you are getting clowns from LFS, get any two that is less than 1.5 inches that is not fighting (the may fight a little but not life threating) and put them in a tank after several months, you will have a pair. Ocellaris is one of the easiest clowns to pair.