PDA

View Full Version : Compressor for plastic welder

sid700
12/01/2006, 09:30 AM
Hello. I got a plastic welder (see pic <A HREF="http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=41592" target="_new"> here.</A>).

Can you tell me how big of a compressor I should use? I really want something small so I can carry it and I can easily store it, but big enough so I can use this plastic welder.

Fluxion
12/01/2006, 09:57 AM
Just about any compressor with a storage tank will be big enough for the welder.

I have one of those welders. In my opinion it won't be usable out of the box.

I had to replace the regulator after adjusting it twice, it fell apart. You need a better regulator anyway, the one that comes with it doesn't allow for a fine adjustment. The welder is way to hot for most plastics I have tried welding. I made a box with my new regulator and a light dimmer to limit the current to the hand piece. It takes some practice finding the right temp and airflow but it is capable of providing some mediocre welds. I have been using it on PVC to fabricate my own version of a sinusoidal valve. The welds are not that pretty but I welded two pieces of 1/2" pvc into a "T" and I can't pull them apart.