PDA

View Full Version : G. ternatensis with problems.

Timmy
12/01/2006, 11:55 AM
Hi,
i have a problem with my female G. ternatensis. I think she is dead very soon. It seems that the animal is to big for his skin.
I think she trys to molt and have big problems.

She dosen't take any food for more than 5 weeks and is not very active since the last molt.

The Mantis is 9 cm and over one year in my tank.
Here ist a Pic.
http://www.fangschreckenkrebse.de/images/gonodactylaceusternatensisimg5847.jpg

Gonodactylus
12/01/2006, 12:14 PM
Timmy,

This is a failed molt. Note the medial lines on the thoracic tergites. This is the point that should rupture when the animal starts to molt.

Roy

Timmy
12/01/2006, 12:19 PM
Thanks Roy,

i now the is nothing i can do for the animal.
Or is there a last chance?

Gonodactylus
12/01/2006, 12:26 PM
Sorry. It's over.

Roy

mickey85
12/01/2006, 03:54 PM
Dr. Roy, is there anything an owner can do to help prevent failed molts, or is it just something that happens?

Gonodactylus
12/01/2006, 04:01 PM
Almost all stomatopod deaths (except for predation and injury) are associated with molting. This is an incredibly complicated physiological and morphological event and it the animal is not in the best physical condition, it probably will not survive the stress.

If I were to give you a list of things to do to help the animal molt, I would sound like your mother - eat, right, get lots of exercise, etc.

Basically this is a time when animals require stable, correct water values, lots of calcium in their diet, and isolation from potential scavengers that will try to feed on a helpless new-molt.

Roy