PDA

View Full Version : Auto Dosing B-Ionic

Razor
12/01/2006, 12:32 PM
I recently setup a medical-like doser to dose the two part B-Ionic I use in my tank.

In setting it up I have two options:

1. Place the doser on a timer and once a day dump the needed amount into the tank.

2. Place the doser on a low dosing cycle which slowly doses the same amount over a 24 hour period.

Is one method preferred over the other?

I figured dosing over a 24 hour period would be better to avoid fluctuations, but is that logic incorrect?

Thanks.

tuckrule
12/01/2006, 01:35 PM
If you definitely want to use the auto doser and can't decide which method, I would say this:
I would use the timer method. I would set the timer to have the first part dose at one time, and then have the second part dose at a time after. I don't know how far apart you dose you're different parts, which probably would open a different argument. If you don't receive alot of input in this section, try proposing you're question in the DIY column or New to the Hobby forum. Both of those will probably generate a lot of feedback for you. -Good Luck!!

racer69
12/01/2006, 05:45 PM
I have the same type of doser on my 180 reef. It is better to dose constantly as to once a day. Your values will stay very stable. Just make sure the two ends of your tubes are separated when going into your sump.

GobyJohnKenobi
12/01/2006, 09:41 PM
It might also be a good idea to measure the output of both dosers over a set period of time. Put the output of each doser into a graduated cylinder and allow them to operate for about half an hour or even an hour. Compare the outputs to each other and adjust your dosing to compensate for any differences.

It might be a small difference, but over time it will add up.

Ralph ATL
12/01/2006, 10:05 PM
At the present, I dose my C-balance 4 times a day. I am thinking of changing that to every 4 hours (6x), however. My parems have become extremely stable!

PatMayo
12/02/2006, 12:43 AM
I dose Randy's 2 part using a dosing pump running 24/7. Everything stays real steady. I sometimes adjust the dosing amount depending on the test results. Since dosing this way the parameters have less movement day to day and week to week.

Regards,

Pat

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/02/2006, 07:49 AM
IMO it makes little difference which method to use, especially for calcium, but the slower dosing will keep the alkalinity a bit more stable. Unless it is dropping undesirably low before the next dose, that likely doesn't matter, but if pressed to pick one, the slow dose is preferred. :)