PDA

View Full Version : Question about pistol shrimp

SlavicSavage
12/01/2006, 04:42 PM
I added a pistol shrimp to my 14gallon biocube last night, and other than corals and cleanup crew he is currently the only inhabitant of the tank. Since adding him I have yet to see him again, but I have heard him a few times. Will he start to come out more on his own? And if so in how long? Is there anything I can do to try and entice him to start working on his cave even though I havent added the goby yet? I plan on getting a white ray shrimp goby, but he didn't come in with the shrimp.

I guess my question basically is, how skiddish are these things, and is there anything I can do to help coax is out of the rockwork?

jsdratm
12/01/2006, 04:55 PM
They are a reclusive creature by nature, so you probably won't see it a lot. Try putting food near its burrow to get it to come out.

Vitaly
12/01/2006, 05:23 PM
I have three in my tank. Here them occasionally at night, rarely see them. Just the way they are. I plan to add a couple gobies to the tank and see if they pair off. Then maybe they will be more visible.

kindafun
12/03/2006, 06:34 PM
Once they pair up with a goby their behavior changes, hugely. We lost a shrimp and added another one. It took about 2 months for the shrimp and goby to find each other. The goby was a recluse too. Now they're both out doing their thing, together. The shrimp is making a great home right in the front of the tank and the goby is fine to be there now, warning the shrimp of problems. It's really an awesome symbiosis.

650-IS350
12/04/2006, 01:17 PM
Get a shrimp goby to pair up with him, to make him feel more safer as someone is watching his back... both will venture out into the tank more often... I have several in my 100 gal... sometimes sounds like a war zone... them popping off at each other... or warning off crabs or hermits...

Lpabsolute
12/04/2006, 01:22 PM
I use to have one in my 5.5g tank. Never saw him unless he was working on his house (moving sand around in the tank), or unless i was feeding the tank. I always heard him though....SNAP SNAP SNAP

UrbanSage
12/04/2006, 01:47 PM
I have a Randall's Pistol Shrimp (http://marinedepotlive.com/randalls-pistol-shrimp---alpheus-randalli-inverts--shrimp.html)

From Marinedepotlive.com
"The Pistol shrimp is best know for the symbiotic relationship in which it shares with shrimp gobies. Will eat most any food. This shrimp is usually heard and rarely seen as the 'snapping' sound is the shrimps way of warding off any nosey trespassers into it's burrow."

My own:
This pistol shrimp happens to be blind, so without a Goby to warn it of danger it likely will be very cautious and mostly in hiding. I have a Yasa Hase Shrimp Gobies. And I see them both out and about daily.

cristhiam
12/04/2006, 02:17 PM
I've been lucky with mine, dig a hole right in front of the rock work, I can see it a few times a day, I have it for about 3 weeks now but he has not paired with my watchman gobie, they are in opposite sides but the gobie doen't leave his home either. The pistol has numerous tunnels and they are interconnected. Hopefully they'll find each other.