PDA

View Full Version : Activated Carbon question

lynn53
12/01/2006, 08:53 PM
Maybe someone knowledgable can tell me why and how and if to use activated carbon. A friend of mine uses a couple cups of the Kent in her tank everymonth (in a nylon sock). She swears that the water stays alot clearer looking using it. Is there truth to this? does it take out "other" things... important things?

thanks so much

bstone
12/01/2006, 09:24 PM
Yes, carbon will make your water much clearer.. Especially if your water has the yellow/orange tint to it. But, be carefull that if you all of a suddon use carbon that you "could" cause coral stress because the light will penitrate much more since the water will be clearer. But, I run carbon 24/7 and I recommend that same.

But if you start put then do it slowly for a few weeks, like a little at a time for a few hours then biuld up from there. But, don't stop for a long period of time then start up again you will stress the corals again.

my 2 cents!

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/02/2006, 07:23 AM
I use activated carbon in a cannister filter. A couple of cups in a 350 gallon total system. Activated carbon is useful for binding organic compounds and thereby making the water possibly clearer. Organics can also be toxins, etc.

I don't really thing there is a substantial drawback to using activated carbon in reasonable amounts, as your friend does. Starting slow is a fine idea in case the water is suddenly more transparent to light and the corals may get a light jolt if started too suddenly.