PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used Melafix in a reef?

leeweber85
12/01/2006, 09:38 PM
I learned my lesson on Quarantining new fish. I got away without doing it in the past, but from now on, I probably will always do it. (at least with online vendors)

I noticed more spots on my anthias and am not sure I will be able to net them. Can I dose the melafix in a reef? The bottle says it's invertebrate safe.... I really don't want to dose the entire tank, but it would be a lot easier. Let me know if anyone has done it with success.

PallidSilversky
12/01/2006, 09:44 PM
Melafix is not really a medication. It is more of an herbal supplement of sorts. The only thing that it's really good for is regrowing fin damage. :(

I wouldn't put anything in my display tank, even if it says that its reef safe. :eek:

nsreefer
12/01/2006, 09:59 PM
I agree, never put anything in a reef tank... no matter what the package, LFS, or the poster of jimmi hendrix in you "Art" room told you.

djc1026
12/01/2006, 10:00 PM
I used it when I first started out. Some corals closed up and the skimmer went nut for 2 days. It creates a foam on the water surface that eventually goes away. All corals opened back up within 24 hours, some sooner. I used it for pop eye and an open wound, the fish recovered, but I can't say with absolute certainty that it was due to the melafix.

Anyway, take it for what it's worth.

Dave

2swift
12/01/2006, 10:07 PM
I have used it For fin rote When I first started out!
I have also enacted qt protocol lol
But here is what I can tell you from my use.
1. It does tick off Hammer, Frogspawn,Exania,and Tourch corals in my case for about an hour after each dose. But have had no long term ill effects to date.
2. Has worked for fin rote
3. Has not harmed Inverts or any thing else to date.
If you have any other spicific ? for me ask away.

leeweber85
12/01/2006, 10:26 PM
I guess I will just wait. I set up a QT so if I see any of the fish getting worse I will try and catch them and treat them in that. It's not worth lossing a $1000 worth of corals to save a couple $20 fish.

Too bad, hope they pull through.