PDA

View Full Version : having trouble calculating

staticx
12/02/2006, 08:12 AM
I am trying to figure out how many gallons per hour are going into my sump. I have one 1 3/4 inch drain and one 2 inch drain that go into my sump what is the max volume for that size I think my calculations are way off

Shagsbeard
12/02/2006, 08:48 AM
I'd guess about 3000gal/hour... but that's just a wild guess. It's probably a bit higher than that.

malintner
12/02/2006, 08:55 AM
2" schedule 40 PVC allows about 3600/gph. 1 1/2" schedule 40 PVC allows about 1800/ghp (iirc). Combined, running at full capacity, I would guess your total volume to be around 5400/gph. You could try the old 5 gal bucket and stop watch test but on these volumes, that bucket is going to fill up fast.

a4twenty
12/02/2006, 09:06 AM
you need to look at it from the other side. that is how much it can handle, for how much you have actually flowing look at the pump you are using to send the water back up.

if your using a pump that is providing 600 gph after head loss, that 's what you have coming back down into the sump.

atvdave
12/02/2006, 09:07 AM
according to this calculator the rates are:

2" = 2350 gph
1.75" = 1800 gph

http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/drain.php

staticx
12/02/2006, 09:08 AM
lol
that is close to what I came up with jsut didnt think it was that high, I might have a little to much flow in my sump lol A five gallon bucket would fill up before I blinked I would have a flood real fast. Thanks for the quick response I was wondering cause I just had to upgade my sump due to the fact if I unplugged my return pump my other sump would over flow in about 3.5 seconds. What kind of drains does every one else have is that a normal size drain ??

Eclectic Taste
12/02/2006, 09:49 AM
If I understand the principle right, after everything is filled & running the amount flowing down will be controlled by the capacity of your return pump, not by the size of the pipes going to the sump(s). You need to turn off your pumps, fill the tank & sump(s) so they don't overflow - that is your maximum level, so if you have a pump shut off you won't get a flood.

The pipe sizes you're using seem larger than average, but at least you know they won't be the limiting factor in getting the flow you need.

staticx
12/02/2006, 06:45 PM
Yeah I did that this time before I set it all up. Thanks for the help.