PDA

View Full Version : Fish and corals do not mix

Paul B
12/02/2006, 04:06 PM
OK I have an opinion now. Fish and corals should not be put in the same tank. OK so we all want fish and corals and we all have them in our tanks but the corals would do much better without the fish, especially when the fish grow to the extent that they eat massive quantities of food and start to really mess up the water. We all talk about nitrates and phosphates but we add these chemicals every time we feed our fish. We really should only keep very small fish like clown gobies and mandarins in our reefs if we want an easy to care for reef. Of course I (and most of you) do not do that and we have large active fish from all oceans swimming around the corals we are trying to grow. I have a moorish Idol that grew way too large for my 100 gallon reef. To tell the truth, I diden't think he would live this long and he eats much more than all my other ten or so fish put together. This is a problem for the water quality and the tank (and the corals) suffer. Whenever I had a large fish die I always said I want to keep the tank with small reef fish but I never listen to myself and always buy a tang, Idol or some other fish that will inevidently outgrow my tank.
So this thread is really about, well nothing really but I just wanted to say that :eek1:
Have a great day.
Paul
:dance:

Yes thats a baby octopus. If my animals get too large, I eat them.
:lol:
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/13094Octopus.jpg

syrinx
12/02/2006, 04:18 PM
they go down easier head first..........

Paul B
12/02/2006, 04:21 PM
Yes, and they don't screem as much that way.

drummereef
12/02/2006, 04:29 PM
gurgle..... gurgle..... blaaaahhhhh.....

Sk8r
12/02/2006, 04:34 PM
Seriously, I understock, considerably, except for my guest tang, who is solving my caulerpa problem. All the rest of my fish would pretty well [together] fill two tablespoons, and my bristleworms would probably amount to a cup. I'd hate to feed several megafish in a closed system, not without a gallon of bristleworms and the world's biggest skimmer. :) I do envy you the moorish idol--dang, they're pretty.

Paul B
12/02/2006, 04:43 PM
They're pretty but they have a price to pay. They want to eat all day and to keep them alive you really have to feed them. I don't know where they put it all but they put it somewhere and it just keeps coming out the other end.