PDA

View Full Version : Anybody knows of an aquarium using Geothermal Heat

zooqi
12/02/2006, 08:03 PM
Just to save money with heating the aquarium or chilling it if is too hot. Any ideas on that and what do you guys think. I'm talking about a 33,000 gallan aquarium. I know running a pipe outside in the winter will cool the water but what about using Geothermal Heat to keep the water warm. I'm just going over the project and considering this option.

Kent E
12/02/2006, 08:08 PM
What temp are you shooting for? This may make a difference in the answer.

AcroSteve
12/03/2006, 07:17 AM
Sure, use a geothermal heat pump, not just a loop of tank water running through the ground.

The up front costs will be a little higher, but it is more efficient than traditional heat pumps.

Bezoar
12/04/2006, 12:01 AM
With the size of tank you are talking about it may actually be worth the upfront cost. You'll need at least a decemt sized residential size compressor and loop system for that big a tank. The nice thing is the geothermal unit can both heat and cool. Are you planning vertical or horizontal loops? Open or closed? Make sure you get a pro, the biggest complaint I've heard of with geothermal is inadequately sized systems for the needs of the house. Sounds like a really great idea, much better suited on a large system if its done properly.

seandanekind
12/04/2006, 02:25 PM
Rusty Wessel in Louisville has a kick-butt fish-house with tons of freshwater cichlid tanks. The whole building is geothermally heated and cooled. Any tanks that need additional heat (like discus) get they're own in tank heaters.

Ploppers
12/06/2006, 03:28 PM
Don't know if this really counts, but here it is anyway. :p

http://www.seabase.net/