PDA

View Full Version : Did I move my leather coral properly?

dwculp
12/02/2006, 09:32 PM
I have never moved or fragged a coral before until yesterday when I fragged my branching hammer coral that had gotten way to big for the area of the tank it was in. That was an easy job, I simply broke the branching hammer at the Y, then zip tied the halves to some rocks and applied some aqua mend putty and placed the two halves back in the tank and today they act as if nothing happened. Success!

I have a Devil's Hand coral that has been getting decimated by a brain that has grown tremendously since I put it in the tank 1.5 years ago. I cant move the brain because of limited sand space and I really like it where it is. So I decided to move the leather. This is what I did but I am not sure if I made a big mistake or not.

I cut the coral off cleanly at the base from the rock it was on with a stinless razor blade. I blot dried the base of the stalk and put a toothpick through the base of the stalk just a couple mm above the base. I then rubber banded the toothpick to the rock I want the coral on and placed it back in the tank.

I will remove the rubberband when the coral attaches itself.

I am unsure of the toothpick, I know I read somewhere this is a valid technique but now I am second guessing myself.

DrBDC
12/02/2006, 10:34 PM
That is just fine. Anything that will hold it to the rock long enough to attach. Some will use fishing line and a needle to pierce through the leather and tie it to the rock. Both are fine.