PDA

View Full Version : anemone and corals-hurry help

littlefoot
12/03/2006, 04:59 AM
It may be too late to ask this but can a bta and lt plate get along? Recently got both a day apart and they were se[arated but now it looks like bta gettn close to lt plate. Is that ok? Will it hurt it?

saltycreefer
12/03/2006, 05:17 AM
The BTA will kill the LTP. Dont let anything near the plate that could sting it as it will lose the war.

littlefoot
12/03/2006, 05:48 AM
lfs knew i had bta and didnt say anything about this when i bought ltp. What do i do? How do I keep them separated.?

fingersdlp
12/03/2006, 08:17 AM
The BTA will search around the tank to find the spot it likes. If you dont have good light and some current it will keep moving around. If it finds a spot that looks safe you should feed it as this might help it stay put. I had a BTA in a tank with corals for about a year but it never moved. I have since moved it to a tank without corals however. A good thing as it split into three a few weeks after the move.

I once was told they dont like to 'walk' over sand so you could try to keep it on a rock isolated from the other rockwork - on a rock surrounded by sand. Wont help if it detaches and floats around though.

B.

DrBDC
12/03/2006, 08:25 AM
I've found if I feed the bta's more than normal when first placing in the display, they will stay put..

littlefoot
12/03/2006, 01:14 PM
thankyou i'll try all theses

The Saltwater Kid
12/04/2006, 11:30 AM
You could also try cutting off the end cap of a piece of pvc pipe and putting your bta in that, it's supposed to make them feel more safe and encourage them to stay put.

musty baby
12/04/2006, 12:45 PM
This makes two threads in two days where I've seen "The BTA will kill _________"

I've had a BTA moving around since I got it 5 months ago, it's been rubbing up on zoanthids, sps frags, and lots of lps colonies, and hasn't stung a single thing yet.

michaeldaly
12/04/2006, 12:53 PM
I have a BTA in my tank and have vowed to never get one again. My problen is not that it moves aroung (mine stays put) but that the thing expands so much. It can reach about a foot in diameter. So a whole section of my tank is only anemone. And it ate all my shrimp.

Der_Iron_Chef
12/04/2006, 12:54 PM
You could always return it to the LFS where you got it, if it's causing problems. I think most would be willing to take it back if you explained the problem.

michaeldaly
12/04/2006, 12:58 PM
I have been trying to get rid of it, the lfs is not very keen on it, it is a boring brown green colour, am am going to ask a different lfs on the weekend.

skeeter-doc
12/04/2006, 01:32 PM
the one with your tomato clown? why not sell the pair to a local reefer somewhere?

DarthBaiter
12/04/2006, 01:41 PM
Once the BTA settles, move anything it can touch away from it's reach. My RBTA damaged my open brain, zoas, frog spawn, acan lords...and has eaten three cleaner shrimps, two small gobies, one firefish and a Hawaiian Lawnmower blennie. Now it has split and I had to get out as much as I can, coral and fish, from my 30g anem tank to my 90g display.

michaeldaly
12/04/2006, 01:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8677860#post8677860 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by skeeter-doc
the one with your tomato clown? why not sell the pair to a local reefer somewhere?

I'll try as soon as I can figure out how to get him out of the rockwork.

skeeter-doc
12/04/2006, 02:02 PM
yeah, thats hard, you might have to sell the whole rock that it is attached to, if you can get it out, probably the best thing to do actually