View Full Version : The Ethernet Module Thread

12/03/2006, 06:34 PM
I thought it would be a good idea to have one thread so that new owners can find Installation help from those who have got there's up and running.

Please let us know if yours is running properly and if anybody has sorted out the Icon's issue please let us know.

My first few question:

I don't use Firefox, would someone who does use it please let us know if it works better than IE for seeing the Icons and does it help with the speed of loading?

Anybody using a regular Modem to connect, does that work ok or is it just too slow?

Captain Quirk
12/03/2006, 06:55 PM

Take some advice: RUN FIREFOX.

They don't call it "Internet Exploder" for nothing...

I would anticipate that the icon rendering issue is related to the way IE handles "trusted sites". That's a guess...

Also, it would be interesting to know if this was specific to any versions of IE. I'm running 7 now, and surprisingly, it's been a pleasant surprise. I don't have a module to check this with, however I suspect that no matter which version of IE you use it would probably be a good idea to add it to your trusted sites...

Just a thought.

12/03/2006, 08:29 PM
I use IE version 6 and Firefox, the IE will display the icons intermittently for me but Firefox displays them properly all the time.
I was thinking of upgrading my IE to version 7 to see if it makes a difference.

12/03/2006, 10:08 PM
Kernalangus, I'm no fan of IE either! It's just that I need it for the work I do. I think I am going to put firefox on a machine at work and give it a try.

Dbond thanks for the info, I put your Tank and Dubge's in my "trusted Sites" list and it caused a Flashing "No Connection" error to come up after about a minute!
Guess that does not work for IE6. let me know how IE7 works out.

12/04/2006, 03:47 AM
I use FireFox and IE7, with Firefox no problem, just slow as with IE7....

12/04/2006, 11:30 AM
Does IE7 show all the Icons?

12/04/2006, 12:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8677455#post8677455 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RobbyG
Does IE7 show all the Icons? No Robert :(

12/04/2006, 01:02 PM
Does Aq give any reason why it does not work, is it something in the security settings that we can change? Is it something in the Modules software and we just have to wait on the next update?

12/04/2006, 01:10 PM
I can't tell you right now, i wait an answer fron the Aquatronica Engeneers.

12/04/2006, 03:40 PM
If they work in firefox and not IE, then I'm sure it's a setting in IE. (I hope)

12/04/2006, 03:45 PM
Just got news that my Module missed getting packed on Last Thursday Trans-shipment. I won't get it till next shipment which arrives this Friday :( :( Oh well patience is the game.

12/04/2006, 03:48 PM
Lets hope, but in any case I am sure the next release will fix that.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8679244#post8679244 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Psyire
If they work in firefox and not IE, then I'm sure it's a setting in IE. (I hope)

12/04/2006, 05:23 PM
I have been trying to get my ethernet module up and running for two days now to no avail. I know I have a good internet connection at the module. I hook everthing up and get the proper lights. I have the module set to DHCP on and there is a IP address in the window which is different from my IP address on the network. When I type in that address into a browser it goes nowhere. I do have a question if the DHCP is set to on and you go to your address page should the first thee digits be flashing and allow you to manually change address? I was thinking you could only change the address if you had DHCP off.. any help would be appreciated.

12/04/2006, 05:42 PM
Not sure about the flashing but I think you can still change it.
When you say the IP address is different from the Network, how different is it?

If your Network is 192.168.1.xxx and the Ethernet is showing 10.10.0.xxx then something is wrong and your DHCP server is not sending out IP's.

Try turning off the DHCP and set the Ethernet for an IP just above the Last one used on your network.

When people start using Port Forwarding they are going to have to do this anyway so it does not matter if you turn off DHCP from now.

12/04/2006, 06:46 PM
Thanks Robby, I finally got it going. The next step is to configue it for access from the internet.. wish me luck. B.T.W i did not see where you can access the graphs from the real time monitoring..

12/05/2006, 09:30 AM
You cant access graphs yet :( maybe next release.

Going on the Net is easy, just use this site.
It will show you your IP. Then from a PC at Work type in http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and you should be able to access the AQ page.

BTW don't try this on your home network, Windows will not allow you to access your own Internet IP like that, you have to use the Local IP if your on a PC on the local Network.

12/05/2006, 03:53 PM
Just playing with my ethernet a bit more so I created an alarm condition (LEVEL) received the alarm notification right away which is great so now I figured I would log into ethernet and try to fix the problem.
The unit was reporting Level sensor in RED to indicate the alarm I created but to my dismay I found you cannot unblock a program remotely.
I would really like to see this feature added in the future if possible.

12/05/2006, 03:59 PM
An Aquatronica Engeneer told me about the IE icons problem, it's an IE problem, it's difficult that it will be solved.

12/05/2006, 08:24 PM
Gilberto I am not sure what you meant.
Are you saying it cannot be solved ?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8687191#post8687191 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ik2vov
An Aquatronica Engeneer told me about the IE icons problem, it's an IE problem, it's difficult that it will be solved.

12/06/2006, 02:12 AM
Yes Robert, this at the moment can't be solved, he don't know if with future editions of IE it can be solved.

12/06/2006, 07:10 AM
I just loaded IE 7 using default settings and I do now see the active plug icons that I did not see before, a clock icon for programs running and a thermometer for the heater.
I have tested it on my local lan and remotely through the wan both seem to be working fine or maybe their is something else that is suppose to display that Im not aware of.
I will change my port settings back to default port 80 if you want to check remotely and see what you think.

12/06/2006, 09:18 AM
I dont have IE7 yet. Maybe on the weekend I will upgrade a machine and try it. Sounds like good news Dbond, Thanks

Captain Quirk
12/06/2006, 12:31 PM

I'm always used to disappointment when it comes to software releases, especially when it comes to the stuff from Uncle Bill.

But the problems I've experienced have been minimal at best, and nothing should stop you from upgrading to this browser. I'm using it almost as much as FireFox now...

My suggestion would be to find someone in the community that deals with these kinds of things (browser issues - probably and HTML developer?) and have them work on the issues directly with someone from AT. Perhaps someone who speaks Spanish ("close enough" to Italian???).

Just a thought...

12/06/2006, 01:53 PM
IE7 has been working great for me for a few weeks now. I won't use anything else... so let's hope the ethernet module works fine with IE7.

12/06/2006, 01:55 PM
What browser did the AQT guy's design this for?

According to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

IE still holds around 85% of the market.