PDA

View Full Version : How do I build a hurricane proof shed?

scaryperson27
12/03/2006, 10:03 PM
I want to build a hurricane proof shed. It will be housing a RO/DI unit inside it for mixing water along with tools, hardware equipment and maybe a work bench. There is one problem though. I'm starting out with nothing but dirt and this thing needs to be hurricane proof. Any sites, opinions, and resourceful information would be greatly appreciated. I would rather not have to buy one considering they cost three times the price as a DIY would cost.

Also if you have any pictures, please post them.

kentrob11
12/03/2006, 10:09 PM
Pour a concrete slab and go cinderblock.....

slumpysix
12/03/2006, 10:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8674383#post8674383 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kentrob11
Pour a concrete slab and go cinderblock.....

yep ...I agree

KH971
12/03/2006, 10:48 PM
Well, I guess I am the one you need to talk to. My family business builds 20 a day. I have plans and schematics for 130 MPH winds. Depends on what you want and what you want it look like and what size? Pitch of roof and materials on the outside. Let me know.

MC Lighting
12/04/2006, 12:40 AM
you definatly need to look into the dome home stuff they make them premade now in sizes for sheds and what not, they are naturally wind proof to I want to say 200mph or something like that since the wind has nothing to grab a hold of I was going to build a dome home but got seriously ill and had to scrap the whole thing a few years ago.

scaryperson27
12/04/2006, 08:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8675115#post8675115 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MC Lighting
you definatly need to look into the dome home stuff they make them premade now in sizes for sheds and what not, they are naturally wind proof to I want to say 200mph or something like that since the wind has nothing to grab a hold of I was going to build a dome home but got seriously ill and had to scrap the whole thing a few years ago.

Can you give me any specific links to what your talking about?
http://www.cover-tech.com/domepics.htm would this be what your thinking of? I have a 15x20 foot space to work with so.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8674401#post8674401 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lrac2006
yep ...I agree

It needs to be more convinient to work with than cinder block. I'm much better with wood than i am cinder block.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8674632#post8674632 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by KH971
Well, I guess I am the one you need to talk to. My family business builds 20 a day. I have plans and schematics for 130 MPH winds. Depends on what you want and what you want it look like and what size? Pitch of roof and materials on the outside. Let me know.

Do you have any scmatics that closely resemble this? What are my options when choosing materials? I want to overbuild this shed in the case that a hurricane occours, i won't be scared of it going anywhere.

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/7654/untitleduu0.jpghttp://img99.imageshack.us/img99/1033/shedproject2jj6.jpg

MC Lighting
12/04/2006, 08:56 PM
you can do a search for monolithic domes or geodesic homes if you like wood then the geo would be a good option for you the mono's are concrete here is a link to just one for instance... dome sheds (http://www.lunarcon.com/)

DrHank
12/04/2006, 09:04 PM
Hurricane proof? Ask the folks from Ocean Springs to Pass Cristian in Mississippi after Katrina! There's no such thing as Hurricane proof.

KH971
12/04/2006, 09:24 PM
Here's the problem.....we can all tell you how to build a shed, but if you get a building permit , you must abide by your county's code of construction. There is no forgiveness in Fla. if you get caught constructing something without a permit. If you get caught!! and I said IF. ........I personally know our partner builds most of the wood bldgs for Home Depot in Fla. and when a permit has not been pulled and they have got caught....the bldg has been torn down!!! and I'm talking about completed 16x24 2 story bldgs. Will the bldg. be visible to your neighbors? If any of your neighbors have a grudge they can call the building inspector and get you in trouble.

bstricklin
12/04/2006, 09:27 PM
Structural Insulated Panels.

http://www.ameripanel.com

scaryperson27
12/04/2006, 09:41 PM
I never got in trouble for putting up a Rubbermaid shed on the side of my house which is 8x8 and clearly visible, why would I get in trouble for this? Because it is wood? My neighbors are not very critical about that type if stuff. I'm not building a 18x24 2 story building. I will call the city and see what they have to say before I start to build. As far as i know, as long it is anchored down, it is allowed to be built.

BeanAnimal
12/04/2006, 09:46 PM
Poured concrete walls are as cheap as block when it is all said and done... look into any of the methods (styro forms... etc).

Bean

scaryperson27
12/04/2006, 09:50 PM
I would need a permit for concrete block or poured concrete walls.

KH971
12/04/2006, 10:07 PM
A 12ftx15ft shed will require a permit.

KH971
12/04/2006, 10:10 PM
The rubbermaid stuff does not fall under any permit restrictions, and that is bad because that stuff blows apart every storm and becomes projectiles at 100+ miles an hour.

KH971
12/04/2006, 10:12 PM
Concrete walls are strong. What type of siding is your house made of? Do you want it to match your house?

dustin323
12/05/2006, 12:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8681166#post8681166 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DrHank
Hurricane proof? Ask the folks from Ocean Springs to Pass Cristian in Mississippi after Katrina! There's no such thing as Hurricane proof.

Very true.

At the Home Depot here they sell wooden barn/shed type things that look pretty good. How about one of those?

SteveOhh
12/05/2006, 12:24 AM
Build it in So Cal...............we don't have hurricanes.......... :lol:

Before anybody says "But you have earthquakes", I haven't felt an earthquake in almost 10 years.................How many hurricanes has the Florida coast had in that time?

Steve :D

scaryperson27
12/05/2006, 05:45 PM
Home Depots sheds are pretty costly though.

KH971,

I looked in the cape coral building permit fees and it is only $45.
http://www.capegov.org/citydept/comdev/cas/cas_permitfees.cfm
My mom works for the City of Cape Coral so this should be very easy to obtain.

I'd rather not pour concrete because that my qualify for a house permit of $44 a square foot.

Back to the drawing board. Give me your ideas and opinions.

hahnmeister
12/05/2006, 06:08 PM
What about waterproofing/flooding? Is that a potential problem? I can just imagine making a shed 100% wind-proof with concrete, only to have its contents get ruined by 10' of water...lol. I suppose as long as you use windows/doors with a high DP rating, and hurricane glass you should be fine for they water coming down... but what about flooding?

MC Lighting
12/05/2006, 09:23 PM
actually one of the few structures that survived the hurricanes was the monolithic dome in FL that the news media used as a shetler it was the guys home and there was almost no damage they have proven themselves quite sturdy.

scaryperson27
12/06/2006, 12:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8687717#post8687717 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hahnmeister
What about waterproofing/flooding? Is that a potential problem? I can just imagine making a shed 100% wind-proof with concrete, only to have its contents get ruined by 10' of water...lol. I suppose as long as you use windows/doors with a high DP rating, and hurricane glass you should be fine for they water coming down... but what about flooding?

If I get 10' of water my entire house is ruined. The shed would be the least of my worries.

actually one of the few structures that survived the hurricanes was the monolithic dome in FL that the news media used as a shetler it was the guys home and there was almost no damage they have proven themselves quite sturdy.

I'm sure the Monolithic Domes are great. But just for aesthetics, I would rather have something that flows with my house.

scaryperson27
12/06/2006, 01:08 AM
Any more ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks to everyone who has replied so far.

KH971,

My house is either made out of cinderblock, or its poured. It is okay if it doesn't match.

This is a picture of a house that looks simular to mine.

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/4534/1538zm1.jpg

SCR
12/06/2006, 04:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8687551#post8687551 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by scaryperson27
Home Depots sheds are pretty costly though.

KH971,

I looked in the cape coral building permit fees and it is only $45.
http://www.capegov.org/citydept/comdev/cas/cas_permitfees.cfm
My mom works for the City of Cape Coral so this should be very easy to obtain.

I'd rather not pour concrete because that my qualify for a house permit of $44 a square foot.

Back to the drawing board. Give me your ideas and opinions.
"I'd rather not pour concrete because that my qualify for a house permit of $44 a square foot. "

Are you sure about that price? That would mean that a 2000 sq ft. house permit would cost $88,000. Sounds a little high.

If you do get caught building with out a permit, most of the time all you need is a letter from an engineer or architect to approved the structure, just take a lot of pictures of the progress as you go along. (Not cheap, but possible)
Buying a permit is always cheaper, and recommended.

A shed is consider non-habitable, even if it's sits on a slab.

scaryperson27
12/06/2006, 05:35 PM
$44 is the price listed in the PDF of cape coral Permit prices. I think that is only valid for expanding houses, like say putting in another bedroom or something. I'm planning to get the $45 shed permit. I'll have to call the city before I do so. Another reason I would rather not pour concrete is I don't have the tools knowledge or skills. I've built with wood before and know how to work with it okay.

Now Shed ideas, pictures, lets see them, hear them. Thank you for your participation. I really appreciate it.

cannarella
12/06/2006, 07:19 PM
Insulated concrete forms. You can put the stucco right on it. You can get it from 4"-10" thick. You can also get an ICF roof. It goes together like hollow Legos. Just fill with rebar and concrete. That is the closest that you are going to get to hurricane proof. It will be really hurricane resistant.

Andy

scaryperson27
12/06/2006, 09:29 PM
Is this something you can do through parts from a local Home Depot?

I like the idea of ICF's. I'm doing some reading on them right now. This seems more simple than woodwork. Thank's cannarella

cannarella
12/06/2006, 10:42 PM
No you can google insulated concrete forms and find reps for different manufacturers that you can purchase through. It is a really neat way of building a darn secure building. I used to live over in Ft. Myers so I can can understand your thinking. I am also building a 65, how do you like it?

Andy

scaryperson27
12/06/2006, 10:57 PM
I like it alot. Poor mans 90 or 120 I guess . The dimensions are really nice, there is really a lot of room for aquascaping.

Have you built anything with ICF? would you recommend Arxx?
http://www.arxxbuild.com/

http://www.icfbuildingproducts.com/standardicf.html

I'm guessing the price here is per form right? Just trying to get an idea of what this would cost.

Heck, if the insulation is good enough, maybe I could stick a in wall A/C in there, just thinking.

I came up with a new layout plan

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/48/untitledrl4.png

cannarella
12/07/2006, 06:27 AM
I have not, but have done a lot of reasearch and seen some job sites where they have used it. I have considered it for my next house. I like new technologies. I think you are right that it would be per block. I think any of the companies would be good. there was one that had more plastic webbing between the sides of the block that looked like it would better prevent a blowoult from the pressure.

scaryperson27
12/07/2006, 07:53 AM
Do you know what the brand was? I saw some pics of your progress so far on the 65 gallon. Looks like an interesting project. Do you have a log of it?

cannarella
12/07/2006, 07:57 AM
I can't remember but they are probably all good. Call some and see if they can tell you some sights to look at.

I am terrible at keeping logs and taking and posting pictures. I will see what I can do to get some updates posted. I have the habbit of starting things and then something else pops up... I am working on the plumbing right now from the first floor to the second. Talk about a challange.

Mr Bojangles
12/07/2006, 07:47 PM
well I can tell you from being through a few hurricanes on the coast and the one that I have seen last with no damage is the prefabbed type with hurricane straps into the ground. The key is to brace the door so the wind can not enter and blow it open.

scaryperson27
12/07/2006, 08:55 PM
Yeah but for the price of a prefab I could have a ICF shed with tons of room, and poured concrete= tornado proof ;) Maybe not, lol.

I'm kind of set on the idea but still open to options. I like the idea of not having to go out and strap the shed everytime a big hurricane comes. I want something I can build myself to save money, and be able to sleep comfortably when hurricanes come. I have yet to call the city of cape coral and ask them a couple questions i have on mind one of which is, "Would a ICF structure that is completly isolated from the house qualify for the $44 sq/ft cost of a permit?", "would it qualify for the $45 which is not calculated by a square foot measurement but only a flat $45?"

SCR
12/08/2006, 05:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8703819#post8703819 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by scaryperson27
Yeah but for the price of a prefab I could have a ICF shed with tons of room, and poured concrete= tornado proof ;) Maybe not, lol.

I'm kind of set on the idea but still open to options. I like the idea of not having to go out and strap the shed everytime a big hurricane comes. I want something I can build myself to save money, and be able to sleep comfortably when hurricanes come. I have yet to call the city of cape coral and ask them a couple questions i have on mind one of which is, "Would a ICF structure that is completly isolated from the house qualify for the $44 sq/ft cost of a permit?", "would it qualify for the $45 which is not calculated by a square foot measurement but only a flat $45?"

"Would a ICF structure that is completly isolated from the house qualify for the $44 sq/ft cost of a permit?"

They figure the price of the permit on the value of the job. They charge $5.50 per $1,000 in value. So if your building a 12 x 15
living area which is 180 sq ft x $44. that equal $7,920. Divide that by $1,000. = 7.92 X $5.50 =$43.56. But your building a "Shed" not living area so your ok with whatever you build as long as you call it a shed. It also looks like they have a $22. zoining fee on top of that.

If your not sure about pouring your own concrete, find someone doing construction in the local area and arrange to have them do it.
A 12x15 slab with no footers would be 2.2 yards. ( Order 2.5 yards)
I don't know about your area but most concrete finishers charge a min. amount for any job whether or not you prep. it or they do all the work. You could get a "Handyman" by the hour for the concrete finishing but you would have to pre-pay for the concrete yourself, and hope he shows up on time.

There is a lot of red tape building from scratch as compaired to buying a pre-builded shed and droping it in the back yard and tying it down.
LOL

BeanAnimal
12/08/2006, 06:22 PM
Bah finish the concrete yourself... it is a small pour and even if you over float it, it will be fine. A neigherbor who has finished concrete would be nice... but even at that you will do fine on your own. If you do it on a Saturday you may even be able to guilt the driver into floating it for you! He may grumble... offer him $50 and a cold beer. he will decline the beer because he is driving the truck... but will appriciate the jesture by the weekend warrior.

Bean

scaryperson27
12/08/2006, 08:17 PM
My dad has someone in mind that has poured concrete for us before. Thanks for the tips everyone.

SCR thanks for the in debth information. My mom is going to talk to the City on monday and see what they say.