PDA

View Full Version : ICH! necessary to QT all fish???

ultra spikey
12/04/2006, 12:45 AM
My newest fish, Kole Tang, has just gotten an outbreak of Ich. I put him into quarantine as soon as I noticed it. I will be doing a hyposalinity treatment. I was just wondering if it was absolutely necessary to quarantine ALL of my fish? Right now all of my fish "look" squeky clean and theyve been in my tank for a couple months now. Theyre really healthy and im hoping they might be able to fight off any of the Ich that is left.

XtrmCHoPZ
12/04/2006, 12:52 AM
DId the tang get ich when it was in your main display tank? If so there is ich in that tank and as soon as you put the tang back in the tank it will most likely get an outbreak again. The problem is that ich can go un-noticed until its too late. The other fish can harbor it without you knowing. Id say yes, its neccessary to do something, worse case scenario: you have to take downt he entire tank or leave it fallow for at least 8 weeks id say. Ive had ich come back after 4 months!!

This may be the incident that teached you that it is absolutely vital to QT every fish BEFORE you introduce it to your tank.

ultra spikey
12/04/2006, 12:26 PM
well, after one night in quarantine, the kole tang has VISIBLY lost all of its spots. But now he looks blochy. Im still going to continue to quarantine him for about 3-4 weeks. Should I still go ahead and do the hypo treatment?

I know I shouldve QT him first before I put him in the display tank...I just upgraded my 55g to 75g and was excited to get him in. I've learned my lesson now...

UrbanSage
12/04/2006, 01:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8675136#post8675136 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ultra spikey
I was just wondering if it was absolutely necessary to quarantine ALL of my fish? Right now all of my fish "look" squeky clean and theyve been in my tank for a couple months now. Theyre really healthy and im hoping they might be able to fight off any of the Ich that is left.

I would say yes it is necessary. And if it is in your tank now then your fish will not "fight it off". They may however keep them at bay if they are healthy.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8677431#post8677431 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ultra spikey
well, after one night in quarantine, the kole tang has VISIBLY lost all of its spots. But now he looks blochy. Im still going to continue to quarantine him for about 3-4 weeks. Should I still go ahead and do the hypo treatment?

The spots are gone. That does not mean that the ich is gone, but most likely just at a different part of the life cycle.

I am not sure what you hope to accomplish if you don't lower the salinity? Imagine "only" quarantining the fish for three weeks after which you see ich again. Now you have to start all over.

Just take a minute. Think a bit about this whole thing, and then stop trying to find shortcuts.