PDA

View Full Version : hair algae controllers

petes313
12/04/2006, 10:48 AM
hey does anyone know if there is a certain shrimp or crab that will help control hair algae. i keep on getting little spots spurting up on my live rock and it's not really hurting anything but it just looks bad. and some of it is around a few of my corals. anyone have any good suggestions, even a fish even would help. thanks

and also does anyone have any experience with doing a large water change say like 40% or so or would that do more hurt than good?

Uncle Salty 05
12/04/2006, 10:56 AM
In my experience NOTHING will touch hair algae.
You could try a Kole (or yellow eye) Tang but a pair of tweezers and getting your chemistry right is the only way to get rid of hair algae.

650-IS350
12/04/2006, 10:59 AM
TURBO SNAILS-
ASTREA SNAILS- some
SEA HARE- DEFINETELY WILL
FOX FACE LO- this fish will definitely will,
TANGS- will

But first thing first, fix whats causing the hair algae growth.. water parameters, old bulbs????

650-IS350
12/04/2006, 11:00 AM
Algae Blenny as well... would relish that.. mine did...

petes313
12/04/2006, 11:16 AM
well it's only a 50 gallon tank and it has 1-175 watt metal halide bulb and one 65 watt 50/50 (that bulb is brand new) but the MH bulb is probably about 6 months old. my water parameters are a little off that's why i was asking about the larger water change, i've been doing my normal water changes and it hasn't really been changing anything

boomsticks
12/04/2006, 01:57 PM
My battle with HA consists of algae blenny, who does an okay job but...he also spreads it messy eaters. I also remove alot by hand and run Seachem Seagel...seems to work so far.

joeychitwood
12/04/2006, 03:49 PM
In my experience, every one of the recommended fish, inverts, etc. is a hit-or-miss proposition. You could fill your tank with crabs, Blennys, Foxfaces, snails, Sea Hares and others and have no impact on the HA.

The only solution I've found which definitely works is manual removal and destruction of the "roots" of the hair. I use extremely hot water on the portion of the rock producing the Hair.

MJT82
12/04/2006, 04:59 PM
IMO the best way to battle hair algae is to eliminate the source of its nutrition. I successfully rid my tank of hair algae by using RO/DI water exclusively and adjusting my feedings. Getting livestock to battle the algae may or may not work, and when the algae is gone, those animals then may be difficult to feed.