PDA

View Full Version : T5 only on a 90 reef?

xraydoc
12/04/2006, 03:06 PM
Im currently setting up a new 90 gallon reef and have been toying with the idea of using T5 only. My tank will be a mix of corals including SPS, so there is no question I will need a lot of light. I had initially planned to run a pair of 250W halides with 2 4 ft. VHO actinics but I am conerned about heat.

Question 1: Can I run T5 only to support SPS, excuse my ignorance I am not that familliar with T5 as I have been out of the hobby for awhile.

Question 2: What would be the best retrofit arrangement in a canopy 48" x 18" x12"?

Question 3: Where could I get it and whom do you recommend?

NewSchool04
12/04/2006, 03:37 PM
check out www.reefgeek.com, they have good prices and easy to work with.
You can def. run only T5 and keep whatever you want. The pic on my avatar is my tank with a 6 bulb Tek light. You will probably only be able to fit 6 bulbs under your hood.

zachluhrs
12/04/2006, 03:39 PM
You can surely keep sps with T-5, provided you have enough bulbs with a variety of spectrum. Sunlight Supply's 48" T-5 Retrofit Kit. I would try to squeeze as many bulbs in your canopy as possible. Atleast 4 of the 48" 2 bulb kits, which would give you 432watts. If you can fit 5 kits, even better. www.sunlightsupply.com

NewSchool04
12/04/2006, 04:05 PM
he's got 18" to work with not including space taken up by the canopy. He's not getting 10 bulbs in that canopy no matter how hard he tries. 8 would be max and I doubt that can be done, the end caps are bulky on those things.

Using total watts to determine what you can support in a tank is not a very good way to judge lighting. PC's that use the same amount of watts as a T5 system w/ individual reflectors will not perform even close to the T5's. Same watts, not the same outcome.

xraydoc
12/04/2006, 04:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8678974#post8678974 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NewSchool04
he's got 18" to work with not including space taken up by the canopy. He's not getting 10 bulbs in that canopy no matter how hard he tries. 8 would be max and I doubt that can be done, the end caps are bulky on those things.

Using total watts to determine what you can support in a tank is not a very good way to judge lighting. PC's that use the same amount of watts as a T5 system w/ individual reflectors will not perform even close to the T5's. Same watts, not the same outcome.

Do you think the 8 bulb 48" retro from reefgeek would be sufficient? Any heat issues, I would assume it would be nowhere near what 2x250halides would put out.

NewSchool04
12/04/2006, 04:38 PM
you will still get heat and I would def. recommend planning for a fan in your canopy.
8 would be perfect, I'm just not sure if you will be able to fit 8.

xraydoc
12/04/2006, 04:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8678734#post8678734 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NewSchool04
check out www.reefgeek.com, they have good prices and easy to work with.
You can def. run only T5 and keep whatever you want. The pic on my avatar is my tank with a 6 bulb Tek light. You will probably only be able to fit 6 bulbs under your hood.

Your 75 is the same width as my 90, only 6 bulbs fit? Any chance I could squeeze 8? Do I need 8, or is 6 sufficient to keep anything I want?

Thanks

xraydoc
12/04/2006, 04:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8679232#post8679232 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NewSchool04
you will still get heat and I would def. recommend planning for a fan in your canopy.
8 would be perfect, I'm just not sure if you will be able to fit 8.

I plan on 2 or 4 fans, that is not a problem, I just dont want to be forced to add a chiller to compensate for the heat. That is the main reason Im trying to avoid halides.

Again, thanks for your input.

NewSchool04
12/04/2006, 04:55 PM
I think 6 would be sufficient but 8 would be nice. Not sure about squeezing 8 in though, the end caps on the retros are pretty bulky. You could call up reef geek and get the measurements, they are very helpful.
I have the Tek fixture so we aren't comparing apples to apples. Your tank is also 4" deeper than mine but I have no doubt you can keep most LPS on the bottom of your tank and any acros at mid tank to the top with 6 bulbs.

Ti
12/04/2006, 04:57 PM
reefgeek.

DrHank
12/04/2006, 05:08 PM
I'm running 4 in a fixture on my 110 (my tank is too deep but my wife likes the picture window effect). I've got LPS half way up which are doing great. If I were doing SPS I'd want at least 6 (4 - 10Ks, 2 - Actinic) because I love the way they flouresce. Also, I'd put 8 if I could get them to fit. Your tank is a shorter version on mine so it should work fine.

Another option might be a pair of 150 MH in the center and a pair of T5 Actinics on the outside. Either way you should be fine.

zachluhrs
12/04/2006, 06:15 PM
Hey xraydoc, I used to have a 72g bowfront with the "discontinued" Amish canopy and stand. Nice Tank. I retrofitted 6 bulbs and 3 ballasts from Sunlight Supply in that canopy. Yes, the brackets that the endcaps clip into from SLS are bulky, but I just shaved a little excess plastic off of the brackets to accomodate 6 bulbs in there. Nice, uniform, and tight. It worked nicely for me. Variety of spectrum is key with corals and inverts like I said. I've done a lot of retrofitting and lighting setups for customers and friends. If you don't mind doing a little custom work, then shoot for 8 bulbs. More power, punch and great on the electric bill! I'm fairly confident you can fit 8 in your 90gal hood.

xraydoc
12/04/2006, 07:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8679901#post8679901 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zachluhrs
Hey xraydoc, I used to have a 72g bowfront with the "discontinued" Amish canopy and stand. Nice Tank. I retrofitted 6 bulbs and 3 ballasts from Sunlight Supply in that canopy. Yes, the brackets that the endcaps clip into from SLS are bulky, but I just shaved a little excess plastic off of the brackets to accomodate 6 bulbs in there. Nice, uniform, and tight. It worked nicely for me. Variety of spectrum is key with corals and inverts like I said. I've done a lot of retrofitting and lighting setups for customers and friends. If you don't mind doing a little custom work, then shoot for 8 bulbs. More power, punch and great on the electric bill! I'm fairly confident you can fit 8 in your 90gal hood.

Thanks for the input. I think what I wll do is get the 6 bulb setup and see how it goes, if I can fit 8 I will then order another 2 bulb retro and go that way. Again, if they are cooler than the halides its the choice for me.

crumbletop
12/04/2006, 07:37 PM
6 is pretty much all you can fit, and believe me it is all you will need.

xraydoc
12/04/2006, 08:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8680510#post8680510 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crumbletop
6 is pretty much all you can fit, and believe me it is all you will need.

So you are obviously happy with the results you have had with your 90. You would not add 2 more bulbs? What are you successfully keeping in the tank? Are they fairly cool running, any water temp issues.

Also, do you get any ripple effect like with halides?

crumbletop
12/04/2006, 08:59 PM
No ripple effect, and no, I wouldn't add more bulbs. I'm successfully keeping several acros (milles, staghorn), montis (caps, encrusting, digis), seriatopora. I just added a bali tricolor, an ORA blue prostrata, and a Garf purple bonsai that all look happy and they are at the sand bed. I'm interested to see what colorations they maintain under my lights. The coloration on my current corals is pretty good. My ORA blue digi is awesome.

No heat issues. I have 3 stealth fans that I run at 9V (completely silent). I temp control with my AquaController Jr. Winter or summer my temp goes from about 78.7 to about 80.0 degrees.

Henry Bowman
12/04/2006, 09:36 PM
These guys are giving you the best advise possible. I am setting up another 90 gl tank with T5's and have come to many of the same conclusions. 6 bulbs is probably enough for anything you want to keep. Reefgeek has great retrofit supplies. Make sure to get the good reflectors and fans (both are needed to maximize the set-up. Go with ATI brand lights and you should be in good shape.

sjm817
12/04/2006, 10:50 PM
A standard 6 lamp retro kit is fine. Upgrade the reflectors to Ice Cap SLRs.

horkn
12/05/2006, 08:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8681944#post8681944 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sjm817
A standard 6 lamp retro kit is fine. Upgrade the reflectors to Ice Cap SLRs.

yep. there really is no need to fit 8 in there like an 8 bulb teklight.

6 normally driven 54w t5ho with IC reflectors will do the trick.

twon8
12/05/2006, 09:48 AM
you could also overdrive the bulbs on icecap ballasts if you don't think there will be enough light, which there will be.

xraydoc
12/05/2006, 01:57 PM
To all who posted, thanks for the advice, it is appreciated.

NewSchool04
12/05/2006, 04:48 PM
Now if we could only get straight to the point answers like above from our Doctors, how nice would things be!!!! ;)

xraydoc
12/05/2006, 08:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8687106#post8687106 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NewSchool04
Now if we could only get straight to the point answers like above from our Doctors, how nice would things be!!!! ;)

Yeah, I know what you mean, patients are often at a loss to entirely (or even partially) understand their diagnoses and feel as if their physicians are either too busy to supply those answers or aren't interested in doing so. Unfortunately, much of this results from the physician's reimbursement being based on the quantity of patients they see, not necessarily the quality or humanistic aspect of that care. I would love to see that change, but the reality is that as Medicare/Medicaid continues to lower physician reimbursement we are required to see more and more patients to maintain our standards of living.

Such is the downward spiral of our failing healthcare system.

NewSchool04
12/05/2006, 08:27 PM
I was just pulling your leg Doc but I agree totally. Good luck with the new set up and post some pics when you get it finished.