PDA

View Full Version : A stick Green Mandarin

David MC Lee
12/04/2006, 08:40 PM
A few weeks ago I picked up a pair of Green Mandarins. They were in the tank for a few days doing alright. I can home one night and the tank lights had already turned off and I decided to check on the tank. I lifted the door and on the ledge was something green looking. It was my female Green Mandarin. I reached down to pick here up and she felt stick, she has been out of the water a very long time. I held her in my hand and put her back in the tank. After about 10 seconds she jerked. She swam out of my had and went right to the bottom of the tank. I sat their and watcher just barely breathing. I new their was nothing more I could do so I went bed. The next morning I got up and went to see if she was still alive or not. I expected to not find her. I started to look around the tank and after a while of looking I found her, alive and swimming. She was large white patch above her eyes and a few other spots. She was pick at stuff so that was a good sign. It has now been over two weeks and she is almost back to normal. I’m going to guess she was out of the water for more than an hour, I have really no idea.

Michelle L
12/04/2006, 09:13 PM
Holy cow!! She's lucky that you passed by when you did. When I saw your title...."Stick Green Mandarin," I thought that you had made a mistake and meant to type "Sick green mandarin." I guess not! :eek:

Years ago I worked in a pet store. We had some kind of big ugly freshwater fish that flopped out of his tank and onto the floor during the night. He laid there for at least a few hours because he was all dried up when we came in. One of my co-workers accidentally stepped on it in the darkened store, but picked it up and placed it in the tank just to see what would happen. The darned thing eventually started breathing. It died, but we suspect it was mostly due to the injury it sustained when it was stepped on.

It's amazing what fish can live through sometimes, but at the same time something indetectable will kill them.