PDA

View Full Version : ID stinging creature please (pic included)

SDguy
12/04/2006, 11:02 PM
OK, I'm stumped. It's basically a long white string of a tentacle, with little white dots attached, with the dots becoming more dense in number towards the tip. It can elongate or contract. I first noticed one because some of my zoas were closed. Upon careful inspection, I saw one of these things in between the polyps. A flashlight after lights out turned up many of these things throughout the tank. I see no other body parts or pieces. I'm assuming it stings since my zoas were closing. Any ideas?

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p5/SDreefguy/Unknownstingingcreature.jpg

TimTen
12/04/2006, 11:47 PM
It looks like a Digitate Hydroid to me, but not an expert. Not sure what its on but I would use Kalk paste on it now before it can spread. Does it only come out at night, does it retract into a tube.

SDguy
12/05/2006, 07:37 AM
It just gets shorter during the day, doesn't "wave around" as much. I've got several :(

Any known natural cures?

SDguy
12/05/2006, 07:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8682282#post8682282 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TimTen
It looks like a Digitate Hydroid to me, but not an expert. Not sure what its on but I would use Kalk paste on it now before it can spread. Does it only come out at night, does it retract into a tube.

Ugh! You're right :mad: Here's a pic from Melev's site:

http://melevsreef.com/id/tbs/digitate_hydroid_tb.jpg

Now what? Kalk paste? What a PITA....

TimTen
12/05/2006, 09:24 AM
I would try and use the paste as soon as you can. Make sure you cover the tube. If the area is clean you may be able to glue over them. I have heard that Keyhole Limpets eat hydroids but I dont think they eat this type. Just try and act fast. If they are only on one rock can you pull it? Also I believe they like nutrient rich water, so I would watch whats going into the tank to help stop the spread while your kalking them.

dippin61
12/05/2006, 01:31 PM
yup.. digitate hydroid.

trippyl
12/05/2006, 01:47 PM
I seem to have a ton of these but they don't appear to bother any of my corals or fish. What are the negatives to these?

SDguy
12/05/2006, 01:59 PM
I've only seen it make some zoas close up and shrink their skirts. Not sure how they affect other corals. I assume zoas are stronger than SPS, for example, so I worry about my SPS...

TimTen
12/05/2006, 02:38 PM
I have heard they also sting fish. I remember reading they are a big problem in SeaHorse tanks.

JollyGreen
12/05/2006, 06:48 PM
I've heard peppermint shrimp will eat them, however I bought a peppermint from the LFS, and have had it for 2-3 weeks, and I don't think it has eaten any.

I also got a skimmer about a week ago, I feel like I don't see as many now, but probably just my imagination, I'm going to go another few weeks and then see if I have any. I pick them off with tweezers. They do sting my SPS and other corals, not good.

JG

TimTen
12/06/2006, 12:17 AM
The skimmer will control them spreading they like dirty water. I would question the shrimp never heard of them eating hydroids. Also remember there are several type's so when asking what works make sure you mention what type you have. If you can conrtol them with tweezers great, if you can't get the whole tube cover the opening with some kalk paste. Good luck, sounds like your doing better then I did when fighting them.