PDA

View Full Version : Oceans Motions long term use, can we hear your story?

zuzecawi
12/05/2006, 01:22 PM
Hey, all you Oceans Motions owners, tell me how you like your device. Does it add heat, does it squeal like a stuck pig, is it quiet, is it great, is it a flop? The company sponsored forum is great but I want some non partisan views.
Thank you.

dougchambers
12/05/2006, 01:52 PM
We've had our OM4-Way running for about 18 months. The service from OM was outstanding when we broke the case on our 4-way while setting up our tank. We also us their Omni-Flex nozzles and they are very well built.

As for your other questions; dead silent, minimial if any heat addition, definitely NOT a flop, and great company to buy from.

-Doug

chem-e
12/05/2006, 01:58 PM
I've been using the OM squirt for about a year now and it's still going strong. It's a great piece of equipment and I've got no complaints.

raddogz
12/05/2006, 03:06 PM
I have been using the OM Squirt for a couple of years now. It is super quiet. No added heat whatsoever.

sjm817
12/05/2006, 03:29 PM
I used a Squirt on my 90G for over a year. I just took the 90 down. The Squirt was flawless. No noise/heat/flow restriction. Light years better the the SCWD it replaced. Could not be happier with it.

sivert55
12/05/2006, 04:11 PM
OM 4-way for a closed loop on a 360g reef. no probs, zero heat, awesome water turbulence. Mine is setup like TheWuf's though. Creates a rolling turbulence on the surface. Like this:
http://www.oceansmotions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546

zuzecawi
12/05/2006, 04:42 PM
Hmm... anybody with a super squirt? I hear they're noisier than the 4 way and I was wondering how much noisier... I have one but I haven't plumbed it yet, was considering trading for an 8 way for more flow possibilities.

raddogz
12/05/2006, 05:05 PM
You may want to check with Paul over at the website and/or contact him before trading up.

geo*SanAnto
12/05/2006, 06:51 PM
Ive got the super squirt with a version 3 drum.It works great with the t4 posidon pump no heat on the ss you do hear the drum rotating a little.like a slow grinding hum.

bond007069
12/05/2006, 06:54 PM
my long term use was to sell it.

HA

PL-Reef
12/05/2006, 08:26 PM
i love my OM 4 way. paul will bend over backwards to help out a costumer.

zuzecawi
12/05/2006, 08:53 PM
You all with 4 ways, are you happy with the flow? Do you feel, wish, need, use other means of water flow in your tanks? Would you have gotten an 8 way if you'd a chance to redo it? I really like ROCK so I'm concerned that only four outlets won't be enough.
Thanks everybody who's posting here, I really appreciate the input!!!

viggen
12/05/2006, 09:54 PM
I just have the squirt

2-3+ years of use

zero problems & excellent customer service!

When I setup my next tank, it will definantly get a 4way or 8 way

UCanDoIt
12/05/2006, 10:30 PM
Love my squirt. Was defective when I received it, was taken care of by OM within 2 weeks. :D

If you're looking for a brand new squirt, I got an extra one... if that's the direction you're going... can handle up to 1,000gph.

Twins Guy
12/05/2006, 10:37 PM
love my squirt-2 way and revolutions...awesome customer service-awesome products!

tg

again silent, easy maintenance, well-built

swedish steel
12/05/2006, 11:09 PM
I'm going with one 4 way in the 130 and two 4 ways in the 300 -each on a dart.

raddogz
12/05/2006, 11:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8689156#post8689156 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zuzecawi
You all with 4 ways, are you happy with the flow? Do you feel, wish, need, use other means of water flow in your tanks? Would you have gotten an 8 way if you'd a chance to redo it? I really like ROCK so I'm concerned that only four outlets won't be enough.
Thanks everybody who's posting here, I really appreciate the input!!!

I actually had every intention to get an eight-way for my 120g, but Paul talked me out of it and said it was going to take up a ton of room and convinced me to get a four-way instead. He talked with me over the phone and explained how to setup the plumbing as well.

zuzecawi
12/05/2006, 11:34 PM
Yeah, I saw a 8 way that a friend purchased and was getting ready to put on his tank...huge. I thought about two fourways or a super squirt and a squirt, but I would almost rather deal with one pump instead of two... although... I do have a spare pcx40 I was thinking of putting on a squirt. Egad, the choices we face!

Funky_Fish14
12/06/2006, 12:55 AM
Well, I have an OM Super Squirt that I've yet to plumb it, but it makes almost no noise when i've powered it up without water. Version 1 Drum. Also, the service was so sweet. I talked to Paul for a few days over on their forum about the way to set-up my flow and plumb it, then we chatted on the phone where he directed me to some pictures and videos. Once I finally decided to buy the unit, I realized I was a complete moron and Cass (Paul's wife) helped me through the entire paypal process and set-up the email so that I would infact be able to pay in Canadian dollars, rather than US like their site is set-up. All this was done instantaneously over the phone.

I havent heard ANYTHING bad about them yet, ever.

Chris

invincible569
12/06/2006, 05:53 AM
There is another thread under the Large tank forum about the OM. It seems like it needs regular maintenance cleaning it out because of sand getting stuck in the drum.

IndyMatt
12/06/2006, 08:00 AM
Is there a two way that can handle more than 1,000 GPH? I have a closed loop with a Panworld and it would be very close or exceed 1,000 GPH.

bond007069
12/06/2006, 08:31 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8690855#post8690855 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by invincible569
It seems like it needs regular maintenance cleaning it out because of sand getting stuck in the drum.

IMO thats its biggest downfall.

I had bad issues with Calcium, Magnessium deposits.

I run a BB tank btw

dougchambers
12/06/2006, 08:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8690855#post8690855 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by invincible569
There is another thread under the Large tank forum about the OM. It seems like it needs regular maintenance cleaning it out because of sand getting stuck in the drum. We run a DSB with our OM4-Way. Our CL drains are through the bottom of the tank. Yes sand can be a nuisance... Especially during a fresh tank setup, but you can have Paul build you a startup drum that is machined down a little and drop in the regular drum after things stabilize. The key is to turn off your closed loop during heavy maintenance where you are moving around a lot of sand. As for clearing the debris, it's very simple. Pull the two nylon screws out of the head, lift the motor off the head, take a pair of pliers and gently rotate the drum backwards (CCW) with the pump running and the sand will get flushed out. Takes all of about 3 minutes.

Here is the conceptual for our CL. It's a little different in reality, but you get the idea. The split Tee's and inlets are under the rock structure.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/9052closedloop.jpg

-Doug

zuzecawi
12/06/2006, 11:04 AM
What a wealth of information. Thank you guys, I'm getting more confident by the moment about my purchase. Hmm... anybody have a link to that other OM thread? I'm a bit retarded with search engines.
Thank you again, all of you who are contributing. It's hard not to get nervous about throwing down so much money on something that looks like a tractor valve (well, Paul DOES work at Cat so I guess that makes sense) I pulled off a 130G at work.
If I could bother any of you to post pics of your plumbing??? Or PM me and email them?

dougchambers
12/06/2006, 11:09 AM
Here is the link you were looking for;

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=979144

zuzecawi
12/06/2006, 11:43 AM
IndyMatt, you can plumb a bypass before the OM device so that it doesn't get swamped by too much flow. Myself, I'd planned on running the bypass from the Super Squirt to my phytoplankton reactor trays and rotifer trays so that I get a constant slow drip of phyto and rotifers into my aquarium. If I run a second Squirt I'll probably bypass to the turf scrubber.

46bfinGA
12/06/2006, 12:27 PM
is a 1 1/2" drain too small for a om4way on a dart closed loop?

dougchambers
12/06/2006, 01:50 PM
The Dart has a 2" inlet, but I've heard of quite a few people that neck down to 1.5". The restrictions on the return should keep the head flooded. We run two 2" feeds to our 4200SEQ12 with 1.5" returns off the OM4-way.

-Doug

zuzecawi
12/06/2006, 02:29 PM
I was thinking of running a single two inch basket covered drain about halfway down the back of the tank for mine. I have a lot of leeway with this tank, it's acrylic and I can pretty well mod it any way I need to. I don't really forsee anything clogging it, but I still might run two two inchers into one pipe just for what if sake. It really depends, I might sell my Gen X pumps and switch out for something on 220 to save on the power bill.

dougchambers
12/06/2006, 02:33 PM
One advantage to running two (2) 2" drains is that it reduces the draw or suction by ~50% on each inlet. If something were to get clogged on one or the other inlet, the second one can handle the flow without starving the pump.

Just a thought...

-Doug

flyyyguy
12/07/2006, 01:36 AM
I run OM 8 ways on both of my tanks and LOVE them. I originally bought a 4-way for my 90 but after seeing how sweet the 8 way was on my 225, i did the same thing on the 90.

I use spraybars tied into it so it really does an awsome job of true everywhere random flow in the tank. I NEVER have to siphon my BB tank. It all gets suspended and to the skimmer.

I recommend the 8 way over the 4 way to anyone if you can deal with the plumbing aspect. It actually doesnt take up hardly any space in the stand the way i did them...i mounted them a little differrent than i have seen but it works great. It does of course take up 4-5" behind the tank

Sand getting in there should be a non issue if you set your intakes up right IMO. I DO run 2-1.5" intakes to both and use low profile spa intake covers to cover the holes, as well as the omniflex nozzles

I bring my returns up and over the top, outlets covered by the canopy, so there is zero piping visible in either of my tanks.

heres a coupla pics....it DID take some thinking on how to fit the 8-way on the 90...lol

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h181/flyyyguy/pipingback.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h181/flyyyguy/8way-90.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h181/flyyyguy/225plumbingback-1.jpg

zuzecawi
12/07/2006, 01:03 PM
Jiminy, that's a huge plumb job!!! Hmm... I think the 8 would be great to play with but I need to run mine level with the top of the tank or below the stand, not flat/sideways like yours, because I don't have enough room in my house, let alone behind the tank to run it behind like that and still get in to clean it. I want to keep everything easy access, my tank is kinda limited because it all mostly has to be wheelchair accessible.

And I hadn't thought of the intake halving aspect of two intakes, but that does make sense, so I'm going to hop onto that boat. I saw those spa intake covers but was a little confused about how to get them to fit on a bulkhead, do you have a fitting between the bullkhead and the spa cover?

flyyyguy
12/07/2006, 07:09 PM
Actually..on both of those tanks i can remove the OM unit by raching under the stand and over my sump...........I cant access them from behind either. : )

zuzecawi
12/07/2006, 08:00 PM
Ahhh... that makes sense. Heh.

flyyyguy
12/07/2006, 09:07 PM
i missed your spa intake cover question before.....

they come with a 1.5" MPT...call your local spa dealer...tehy can order them for you. They are the best option IMO for covering CLS bulkhead intakes. Low profile and the way they are designed they really dont have enough suction to grab anything. They can handle 4800 GPH apiece.........so running two of them is perfect in most cases. to give your pump all the water it wants....
I have actually modded them in the past to fit 1" as well......just some cutting and gluing to replace the 1.5" mpt with 1" mpt

dougchambers
12/08/2006, 10:15 AM
We use the ones like this;

http://www.customaquatic.com/images/feature/PF-FL1800-05.jpg

They work very well and are pretty cost effective at $2-4 depending on size.

flyyyguy
12/08/2006, 10:52 AM
$6-7 super low profile, only stick out 1/2"...cant even hardly see them

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h181/flyyyguy/closed/DSC_1707.jpg

chrisT
12/08/2006, 11:20 AM
Flyguy, share the wealth. Have a link handy?

JCurry
12/08/2006, 11:31 AM
Yes please, a link. I am trying to find something for my squirt CL that's not so huge. Thanks.

zuzecawi
12/08/2006, 11:34 AM
Wow, those really ARE low profile. Doug Chambers, for some reason your picture/link didn't show. I think the spa covers I saw were a little different, they were gray, and looked like little domes with some kinda little twist-n-lock style attachment fitting.

flyyyguy
12/09/2006, 06:56 PM
http://www.sparepairs.com.au/prod1958.htm

Here is a link to the exact part it is I use......except in white instead of black......however this is all i could find. This price is RIDICULOUS. They shouldnt be any more than $8 apiece. My dad is in the pool and spa business so he gets them for me.......

I used to have a link of an american company to get them from and get them in black as well..........

If anyone has a better link please post it......ill look for a minute or two more here to.......

i found this too....no pic but im pretty sure this is the part AND its black........http://www.onlinepoolsupply.net/pool-parts/waterway-9406-0071.htm?id=4 BUT again...the price is double what it should be

I can tbelieve how hard it is to google and find spa parts.........geesh...i just sent a email to about 5 different places as its kinda bugging me i cant find what we want........

Stlouphil
12/10/2006, 08:39 AM
This is not a report of long term use, but I just got my OM SS up and going yesterday and it is by far the neatest piece of reef equipment I have ever seen. I am pulling both my MJ1200s today. I am running the OM SS on an ampmaster 3200 and my coral were in full extension all day. Paul has great customer service. I bought a used unit here on RC had a hard time getting it going. Talked with Paul for 20 minutes (again this was a used unit) he trouble shooted with me and with 10 minutes had the unit working. (I had the magnets layed ot wrong after changing the drum.) Anyways OM two thumbs up! :D

flyyyguy
12/10/2006, 02:15 PM
http://www.spacare.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3796

here ya go. The low profile spa suction cover. Its ten bucks but this part is available in about 7 different colors and has the 1.5" MPT adapter on the back of it. It doesnt show the adapter in the pic but i asked him twice to be sure.

Fishel
12/18/2006, 09:18 PM
those holes look kinda little... any concern that they will get clogged up easily?

Fishel
12/18/2006, 09:29 PM
this looks like it could be used. it's not black but could probably be painted with black krylon... it's 2inch slip so using a sequence dart pump it should work ok...

http://www.hydroairusa.com/pdf/products/suctions_&_Drains/s11a.pdf

flyyyguy
12/18/2006, 09:59 PM
Thats the same part with a different(larger 2" vs 1.5") MPT attachment

Ive never had clogging issues, but i have on occasion unscrewed them to clean them off. Takes about 1 minute and happens a couple times a year tops.

sjm817
12/18/2006, 10:25 PM
I'll just add that on my recent upgrade from a 90G to a 180, I kept almost nothing equipment wise. Most of it just wasn't big enough. One of the few things I did transfer over was the OM Squirt. Great piece of equipment!

Fishel
12/19/2006, 08:08 PM
hmm.. I want to go with the 2inch part as I don't want any conversions from 1.5inch to 2inch into my Sequence Darts. Reeflo recommends no up or down-sizing on the inlet for maximum performance (their pumps are designed to push and not pull).

So I noticed on the .pdf file that the hole size needs to be 2 7/8 for the 2 inch assembly. I am thinking that's a weird hold size. I searched all over the internet for a 2 7/8 diamond hold saw bit, nothing....

I emailed hydroairusa.com and asked if a 3" or 2 3/4" hold would work with their part. They told me the 3" inch hole would cause leaks and the 2 3/4" hole would have to be widened to 2 7/8".

Sooo...... I'm kinda stuck....

But they did give me this info on where their parts can be bought online...

Their main site is www hydroairusa com

Thier parts can be bought at www uspartscenter com

oh ya, I asked if they made the 2 inch spa cover/drain assembly in black she said they did not as an assembly but I could piece together their black parts for the same exact result... The parts would include:

30-6003
50-6304S
10-6011BLK
30-6010US

flyyyguy
12/19/2006, 08:20 PM
I used to use a Dart and it isnt a problem nor will it affect Performance especially if you use 2-1.5" cls inlets...which is better anyway as it provides the pump with plenty of water as well as not enough suction on the drain covers to trap any critters.

The key to that is that you dont want any 90's within close proximity of the pumps intake. I have had extensive conversations with reeflo on that topic as well. Its odd to me that someone there told you differently.

zuzecawi
12/19/2006, 08:33 PM
Don't they have Y shaped fittings that run from 1.5 to 2"? Seems on another thread I saw them. Cut down on the nineties. I don't see where two 1.5" CLS inlets would restrict a pump with a two inch inlet, so long as they dumped into two inch pipe.

Fishel
12/19/2006, 08:35 PM
thanks for the advice.... i'll probably go with two 1.5 inch drains per closed loop then... I'll make sure to use a 45 degree fitting off of each bulkhead then into a "y" connector then pvc flex hose into maybe another 45 degree fitting then into the dart.....

rpeeples
12/20/2006, 12:30 AM
I have the 4 way and omni flex nozzels. The product is flawless thus far and I move about 3600GPH hour through it on my closed loop using a dart. The service is the best in any industry that I have seen thus far....without question!! :)