PDA

View Full Version : Strontium level low

docwells
12/05/2006, 05:34 PM
I tested my strontium level today and is is low. It was 3 on the salifert test. This might explain the lackof growth of my corals and coralline. My other parameters are fine. Does anyone know a formula to figure out how much to dose to raise my levels? Is there a danger of raising the levels too quickly? I have some ESV liquid strontium but not sure if I can add more than the directions.
Thanks

Wellington

Billybeau1
12/06/2006, 01:04 AM
Strontium levels usually are not a concern for most salt mixes. What salt mix are you using ?

Have you read this yet ?

Strontium in the reef aquarium
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2003/chem.htm

docwells
12/06/2006, 04:44 AM
I mainly use NSW. I get filtered and ozonized NSW from the local college which has an aquaculture facility. When I do use slat, I use IO.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/06/2006, 06:41 AM
I'm not convinced that measuring or supplementing strontium is useful, and I don't ever do it, but if you have low strontium you can certainly add more than directions say, assuming that most directions are for routine maintenance, rather than making a substantial boost.

FWIW, IO seems to typically have above NSW levels of strontium. You might test to the salt mix to see how the kit is functioning.

docwells
12/06/2006, 07:16 AM
Randy,
Thanks for the help. I will try and measure my NSW that I am using and a batch of water I make with IO.

I asked about adding more than the instructions because the instruction said there might be a drop in alk with using more than the instructions.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/06/2006, 12:12 PM
There will be no alkalinity drop as a consequence of dosing. Only over the long run as strontium carbonate is precipitated. Even then the effect is small. So there is no cause for concern about alkalinity. :)

docwells
12/06/2006, 08:37 PM
Randy,
Thanks for the reassurance. I will get to work on my level.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/07/2006, 01:32 PM
:thumbsup:

Good luck and let us know if you notice anything different after dosing. :)