PDA

View Full Version : Feeding GBTA???

Shnabbles
12/06/2006, 11:58 AM
How often should i through a silver side its way? Its about 10 inches across and hasnt been inflated since i brought it home 3 months ago... looks healthy but the tips are long and narrow

Shnabbles
12/06/2006, 12:06 PM
by inflated i mean bubbled up

RedSonja
12/06/2006, 12:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8692597#post8692597 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Shnabbles
How often should i through a silver side its way? Its about 10 inches across and hasnt been inflated since i brought it home 3 months ago... looks healthy but the tips are long and narrow

At that size it may not make bubbletips, there's lots of debate about what causes the bubbling but IIRC the larger they are the less they bubble. Mine are all babies so I don't know from personal experience. As far as how often to feed it, depends on its condition and how much you want it to grow. Does it eat when you offer it food and how often do you do so now?

-Sonja

Shnabbles
12/06/2006, 12:14 PM
i fed it more at first and it stayed put for the most part... it went to a feeding maybe 1 time ever week or 2 and has started moving almost non stop... but everytime i feed it it definently eats it...

could it be moving because its looking for more food?

RedSonja
12/06/2006, 12:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8692701#post8692701 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Shnabbles
i fed it more at first and it stayed put for the most part... it went to a feeding maybe 1 time ever week or 2 and has started moving almost non stop... but everytime i feed it it definently eats it...

could it be moving because its looking for more food?

If nothing else changed in your setup (flow, light, water change schedule, etc.) then it may be looking for more food, yes. I'd suggest feeding it twice a week, or maybe even initially every day until it decides to stay put again. Silversides are cheap and plentiful, anemones are a very finite resource ;)

-Sonja

NewSchool04
12/06/2006, 02:53 PM
Try feeding raw shrimp. Cut the shrimp into very small pieces and baste into the BTA. Silversides aren't the best food for anemones and whole silversides are not good at all. Too much for their digestive system to process.

RedSonja
12/07/2006, 10:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8693823#post8693823 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NewSchool04
Try feeding raw shrimp. Cut the shrimp into very small pieces and baste into the BTA. Silversides aren't the best food for anemones and whole silversides are not good at all. Too much for their digestive system to process.

Good point. I don't feed silversides so I don't know how big they are, so maybe they're too big even for a 10" GBTA. I feed mysis, or small slivers of SW fish or scallops or clams or shrimp or whatever SW critter is on sale when I go to the store (the seafood dept guys all ask what my anemones are being fed this week, at this point :D ).

I think the general rule of thumb is 1/4" pieces, so if your food is larger than that, chop it up a bit.

Please keep us updated on how it is doing!

-Sonja

NewSchool04
12/07/2006, 10:58 PM
Yep RedSonja, you're feeding perfect food. There is a pack you can get at most grocery stores thats a mixture of clam, shrimp, scallop, etc. that is uncooked and frozen. That's really good for them.
I've noticed in the 3 years that I've had my BTA that the bigger food that you feed, the more time they shrink down and purge food and excrement. The smaller it is, they hardly ever do that.
I feed chopped up shrimp and Rods Food and baste it into the anemone. Anything that gets out the fish and shrimp take care of.

GSMguy
12/08/2006, 11:37 AM
rods food arghh i should have had him send me a ton with my clowns i wish i had some