PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding installation of RO/DI unit?

STEELERFAN747
12/06/2006, 05:41 PM
Hey all. I am currently looking into purchasing an ro/di unit. I have been using ro water purchased from Publix or from lfs with much success, however I am finding it more of a pain in the rear whenever I need to top off and I find I have no more water avaliable at home and on occasion Publix does not have.

So as I mentioned I am looking into purchasing one.

Here is my question. Is their a way I could connect one of these units to an existing line with out dedicating it completely?

Meaning I dont have any water lines to spare and would not want to connect it to the kitchen or bathroom sink and not have any pressure to be able to wash dishes or my hands.

I have seen one connected to the clothes washer line before.
Could this be done with a valve that could be opened when the washer is not in use?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

AZDesertRat
12/06/2006, 06:00 PM
An RO unit will not affect your pressure at all. Figure out the flow, if it makes a maximum of 75 GPD of good water and you have a normal 4:1 waste ratio then you are using a maximum of 375 gallons per day or 0.26 gallons per minute. A quart a minute isn't going to have any effect on pressure in most cases and thats only when it is making water which isn't all the time.

Thefilterguys
12/07/2006, 12:44 AM
You can use a Y fitting and a garden hose/Laundry sink adapter one side for your washer and the other for you RO/DI system.

Jim

joeycadre
12/07/2006, 01:39 AM
i have my ro'di in my garage. when i need to make water i hook up the water hose to an outside spigot. works fine.

STEELERFAN747
12/07/2006, 07:23 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8697921#post8697921 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by joeycadre
i have my ro'di in my garage. when i need to make water i hook up the water hose to an outside spigot. works fine.

Do you mean the unit is loose (as in mobile) and you just hook it up temporary to the hose?

AZDesertRat
12/07/2006, 09:05 AM
You can use them portable or mount them permanent either way.

650-IS350
12/07/2006, 10:01 AM
Mines portable... just make sure your water PSI is at least 50 so that you won't waste to much water from underproduction... if you have low psi... get a booster pump....

I have the filterguys 75gpd oceanreef and like it. I just plug mine to the spare bathroom and unplug when not in use.. but keep some pressure inline in the unit so that it dosn't get crap in it.

dcombs44
12/07/2006, 10:19 AM
I just use a faucet adaptor on mine since i live in an apartment. It has a diverter that screws on to the faucet, so when I want to use my ro/di i pull the lever and the water that normally flows to the sink flows to the ro/di. Only draw back is that you can only use one or the other, not both at the same time. but that will eliminate your pressure problem, and you don't have to pierce any pipes.

jeffbrig
12/07/2006, 11:23 AM
If you dig through the plumbing bits at HD or Lowes, you can find a threaded T fitting and adapters that will allow you to split off for the RO/DI from your normal cold water connection under the sink. It's actually quite simple, no piercing, nothing to connect/disconnect.

NanoCube-boy
12/07/2006, 12:32 PM
You can check my pictures how I installed on a counter with a faucet adaptor. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=812782

Dr.FuManchu
12/08/2006, 09:08 AM
I used a saddle valve directly on the incoming line 3 ft from where it comes into the house in the laundry room. I get excellent water pressure there. Mounted the unit above the washing machine so its easy to use waste water for doing wash.

STEELERFAN747
12/09/2006, 03:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8706294#post8706294 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dr.FuManchu
I used a saddle valve directly on the incoming line 3 ft from where it comes into the house in the laundry room. I get excellent water pressure there. Mounted the unit above the washing machine so its easy to use waste water for doing wash.

Hey Manchu, any pictures of this. I would really like to see some pics of this as thats probably the line I would like to use. That way I can mount it in the garage and out of sight.