PDA

View Full Version : WOW!!! My new white saddle nem

cbrand
12/07/2006, 07:46 AM
Click on the photo link to check out my new white saddle anemone!!! it is amazing!!!!!

sonofgaladriel
12/07/2006, 09:08 AM
Sorry to rain on your parade, but that is a severely bleached hadonni saddle carpet. There are no healthy 'white' anemones. But, with some small regular feedings and good quality lighting, it is possible for this nem to come back and regain its true color, which will most likely be a drab green or it could be a nice teal color with white bands.
Good luck with it. I hope it does well for you.

r00onmac
12/07/2006, 10:10 AM
yea but maybe if your lucky itll live and turn blue or red or something like that...

GSMguy
12/07/2006, 01:49 PM
looks like a bleached green

illcssd
12/07/2006, 01:55 PM
It may actually be a bleached gigantea. Hard to tell from that picture though. The length of the tentacles do appear to be short like haddoni though. Time will tell.
Can you get some pictures of it in the tank cbrand?
And are you putting this in a nano?

My next prediction, if 55semireef see's this thread he will post pictures of his sebae's recovery...lol

cbrand
12/08/2006, 12:41 AM
Umm...this nem was purchased from our very reputable distributor as a white saddle. i don't claim to be an expert but my boss/mentor knows exactly what he is talking about. sorry guys this thing is not bleached it is as healthy as can be. if that nem was so bleached that it was totally white it would have released all of its zoox. trust me we have done our research and there are white saddles out there but you will be hard pressed to find them....extremely rare!!!!! but you all are entitled to your opinion. by the way...i work for the tampa bay aquarium so my boss knows what he is talking about!!!!!:D

SVXH6
12/08/2006, 01:00 AM
IMO, its def. bleached..you can practically see through it..it will get its color soon enough..

illcssd
12/08/2006, 01:40 AM
Cbrand,
No matter what your boss say's, that anemone is bleached. 100% guaranteed. There are no white haddoni's or gigantea's in the wild. Period.
Show me a picture of a white one in the wild. Even being extremely rare Someone on this community would either have one or have seen one. Even "rare" anemones in this trade, if they are a hosting anemone, have been seen.
If it eats, and is responsive and sticky. Watch over the next few months, it will change color, probably to a greenish color i would assume but it is impossible to tell at this state of bleaching.

mwood
12/08/2006, 09:12 AM
I see your thumb in the pic touching the nem. How sticky was it? Was it hard to get your thumb back?

phender
12/08/2006, 10:38 AM
You are right. There are white haddoni and white gigantea out there. The white pigments occur in the tips of the tentacles in the same place where blue or green pigments normally occur. The difference is that the rest of the tentacles and the oral disk still show the brown coloring of the zooxanthellae.

Your anemone is transparent where it should be at least tan. That is what makes it bleached. If you have opaque white tips on the tentacles you may have a white carpet, but it has still lost its zooxanthellae, and is therefore considered bleached.

If you didn't have a difficult time getting it off your thumb, that is also a bad sign.

sonofgaladriel
12/08/2006, 10:50 AM
Reputable, and not so reputable, distributors sell bleached anemones all the time.
I'm afraid that you, and your boss, are in for a surprise when that nem, (if it survives) gets its color back.
I do really hope it does well for you.

mwood
12/08/2006, 10:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8706326#post8706326 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mwood
I see your thumb in the pic touching the nem. How sticky was it? Was it hard to get your thumb back?

PS, was that nem attached to rock or substrate in the pic? It doesn't look like it. It looks like you are holding it up for the pic.

55semireef
12/08/2006, 01:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8700754#post8700754 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by illcssd
It may actually be a bleached gigantea. Hard to tell from that picture though. The length of the tentacles do appear to be short like haddoni though. Time will tell.
Can you get some pictures of it in the tank cbrand?
And are you putting this in a nano?

My next prediction, if 55semireef see's this thread he will post pictures of his sebae's recovery...lol

:lol: Nah...not this time. Unless he wants to see my pictures. :D

I would say its a bleached Haddoni. What kind of lighting is it under and how big is your tank?

anemoneguy
12/08/2006, 08:13 PM
ive seen plenty of white carpets. some with grey striping. they are from florida waters. some say they dont host fish, but i have also seen this before. i think they are cool. good luck with yours.

Gary Majchrzak
12/08/2006, 08:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8710858#post8710858 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by anemoneguy
ive seen plenty of white carpets. some with grey striping. they are from florida waters. some say they dont host fish, but i have also seen this before. i think they are cool. good luck with yours.
The anemones you are referring to are Stichodactyla helianthus (the"Atlantic Sun Anemone"), an entirely different species of anemone.
The Pacific carpet anemone pictured in this thread is bleached.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/512/139958White_saddle.jpg

adtravels
12/09/2006, 01:42 AM
this sounds like a bit of a wind up to me the only truly white anemones i have seen (and i am sure there are many more) are plumose anemones they were in deep dark cold water of the coast of england ( and i am sure they exist all over in temparate water).

Surley reason says that any sessile organism exposed to strong uv light would have some pigmentation as protection to last any length of time, bleached anemones due occur in the wild and maybe bleach for the same reason as coral but you would assume that if they dont get their pigment back (sooner rather than later) they would perish because we know that the zooxanthelle provide food but could even be acting as sun screen!

what I am trying to say is this may have been collected as a white anemone but it is a bleached anemone non the less. That is probably why they are claimed to be rare they bleach and then slowly die so the chances of finding one is slim.e.g. (http://www.donsutherland.com/PNG%202001.htm)