PDA

View Full Version : Is Saltwater Fish Keeping right for me?

Sink Colin Sink
12/07/2006, 05:48 PM
Alright, I've been out of fish keeping for about 2 years now, and I've always been fascinated by saltwater tanks. I would LOVE to have a tank with two Ocellaris Clownfish, and Bulb Anemone, live rock (Duh) as well as some nice looking shrimp. Now, my questions are..

What size tank would be well suited for this setup?
How many pounds of live rock would I need for the proper sized tank?
In terms of lighting, how many watts would be appropriate, keeping the proper tank size in mind? (I'm thinking PC lighting)
What would be the best substrate?
What protein skimmer would you reccomend?
What mechanical filter is reccomended?
How exactly do you "plant" an anemone or coral?

What other options do I have that would also be good, in terms of fish and corals?

I don't really want a HUGE tank, I'm thinking 30-50 gallons at the max.

Thanks, Colin.

Sorry if these questions seem rather noobish!

popimp06
12/07/2006, 05:50 PM
you need alot of money and alot of research. yahoo ?

Sink Colin Sink
12/07/2006, 05:55 PM
Haha, yeah I've been doing research, I'm thinking Aragonite sand, and a 20g long tank. Would 2X65 watt PC flourescent lights do well in this setup? I'm still wondering about the other questions I have asked.

Waxxiemann
12/07/2006, 05:56 PM
you could keep everything you are looking at in a 20 gallon tank.

Sink Colin Sink
12/07/2006, 05:57 PM
So would 20-30 pounds of live rock work well?

kelrn98
12/07/2006, 06:03 PM
it is recommended 1- 1.5 # LR/gallon, so yeah 20-30# would work in a 20gal tank.

Waxxiemann
12/07/2006, 06:03 PM
if it were me I'd look at doing t5's for lighting and a nice fine sand substrate.

Maybe a HOB type skimmer if you don't plan on having a sump.

I'd probably put about 40 or so pounds of LR in there but it depends greatly on the rock.

mechanical fitlration is not required.

you can put and anemone where you want it but it will move to wherever it likes best.

also, I don't think that a bubble tip is a natural host for an ocellaris clown, they may not want to live there, so be prepared for that.

There is a lot of other equipment required, but keep reading.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Sink Colin Sink
12/07/2006, 06:08 PM
Thanks for all the fast replies!

What other anemone(s) would the Ocellaris Clownfish like, and vice versa?

Fraggle Rock2
12/07/2006, 06:09 PM
My first tank was pretty much like that, very basic.

It ran fine for over a year until I had to move and had to take it down.

Basically, I had a 20G tank, 2 fish, some mushrooms and about 15 lbs of live rock. I forget what substrate I had, probably aragonite (shallow bed 1-2 inches).

I had one of those standard hang on filters, normal output flourescent lights and a cheapo internal counter-current skimmer.

I bought distilled water for the top ups and water changes.

My opinion is that you can have a succesful tank like that with just a hang on filter and consistent water changes. Just don't overstock or overfeed or get too lazy about maintenance.

I am not sure about the anemone though, but clowns host in other things that may be easier to keep under low light.

The fish only with live rock (FOWLR) forum might be a good place to read.

Waxxiemann
12/07/2006, 06:10 PM
Check this out :

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=298642

Sink Colin Sink
12/07/2006, 06:24 PM
I can't really find a good anemone that is as easy to care for as the bulb anemone.

So now my options are either stick with the bulb anemone and other fish, or get a coral instead.

Any advice?

Waxxiemann
12/07/2006, 06:30 PM
well go for a different clown maybe. I think a true perc will host in a bubble tip.

Sink Colin Sink
12/07/2006, 06:31 PM
Well that works out nicely, I like the look of a true perc much more!

What are my other options as far as fhish and corals? Gobies? Mushroom Corals?

Waxxiemann
12/07/2006, 06:36 PM
well you can do some zoos and mushrooms, you could do some LPS as well if you go with T5 lighting. Note that once you get into doing corals that water quality is VERY important.

Start with some fish and live rock and go from there.

Lydo
12/07/2006, 06:39 PM
I would suggest T5 ho lighting as well. Why? Because I have a 4 X 65W pc setup and I find that it does give out a bit of heat and it look the t5's are cheaper on electricity.

The other thing is, if you like do it yourself projects, just buy a ballast, endcaps and mountpins and put it together yourself. You will save a bundle!!

Sink Colin Sink
12/07/2006, 06:39 PM
Sounds great man! Thanks for all the help. T5 lighting is pretty far out of my budget, and during my online searches I've been having trouble finding fixtures that would fit a 20g long tank.

Lydo
12/07/2006, 06:41 PM
The one thing I forgot to mention is that in a shallow tank like that, PC's would be fine for the Anemone. You will ge different opinions but you would be fine.

Z-Man07
12/07/2006, 07:06 PM
PM for Lydo.

AmatureReefer
12/07/2006, 07:08 PM
20 gal nano cube, with nano Skimmer, 20 pounds live rock, Caribean sea Aragonite sand, and read everything you possibly can.

P.S. I garauntee that you will be upset that you went with such a small tank, you will be so limited, I would go for 50- 100 gal because then you can feel free to express yourself but not have a giagantic tank. Good luck

lessthanlights
12/07/2006, 07:12 PM
The 40 breeder (36x18x16) has got to be one of the most popular and best looking "small but not nano" tanks out there. I have 60lbs of sand 80lbs of rock, 2 tunze nanostreams, an aquaclear 500 (for carbon and cheato), 250w ebo jager heater and 6x39 (you could easily do 4x39) T5s over mine- no sump, no skimmer, no fuss. I love it so much that I'm holding off on my custom 90 until I finish the 40. You could get yourself into the 40 with those specs for under $1000 easy if you shop around and catch someone tearing down.

Smitty750
12/07/2006, 08:15 PM
I have a 30 setup right now with 96w PC 30 # LR and a 3" LS bed. All is well hermit snails and 2 peppermint shrimp no fish yet. I have a tetratec filter and do small frequent water changes all is well.

tkeracer619
12/07/2006, 08:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8702381#post8702381 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sink Colin Sink
Alright, I've been out of fish keeping for about 2 years now, and I've always been fascinated by saltwater tanks. I would LOVE to have a tank with two Ocellaris Clownfish, and Bulb Anemone, live rock (Duh) as well as some nice looking shrimp. Now, my questions are..

What size tank would be well suited for this setup?
How many pounds of live rock would I need for the proper sized tank?
In terms of lighting, how many watts would be appropriate, keeping the proper tank size in mind? (I'm thinking PC lighting)
What would be the best substrate?
What protein skimmer would you reccomend?
What mechanical filter is reccomended?
How exactly do you "plant" an anemone or coral?

What other options do I have that would also be good, in terms of fish and corals?

I don't really want a HUGE tank, I'm thinking 30-50 gallons at the max.

Thanks, Colin.

Sorry if these questions seem rather noobish!

Colin,

You my friend are ahead of a lot of reefers already. You ask for others advice and don't ignore it. Reefkeeping is for YOU.

Also about the anemones, its true the bubble tip is not a natural host for the false O but they will often host it. Mine don't, well not yet, but they were in a tank for years with nothing to host.

They are with me now and host an un named coral with super sweepers. They ignore the 3 RBTA's =|

T5's are the way to go on that tank, PC's will be fine but I would go with some good T5's.

Sink Colin Sink
12/07/2006, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the advice and praise!

Are there any anemones that are not too much more difficult to take care of than BTA's, but that True Percula Clownfish will most likely host?

Sink Colin Sink
12/08/2006, 01:54 PM
Any more suggestions?

Maybe I should do a photo journal once I start?

Dr.FuManchu
12/09/2006, 08:41 AM
You could do one of the all-in-one tanks like an aquapod, Nanowave, Biocube, Nano cube type tanks. The reason for this is that it is much less of an investment if you should not take to Saltwater/Reefing. There are none that are cheap. Try a smallish tank first, they are not that difficult and if you like it you could always get a larger tank later. My .02

Sink Colin Sink
12/09/2006, 10:35 AM
What are my options in terms of fish and corals if I go with one of those 24 gallon AquaPod 150W Metal Halide light packages?

sarduci
12/09/2006, 10:49 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8703019#post8703019 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lessthanlights
The 40 breeder (36x18x16) has got to be one of the most popular and best looking "small but not nano" tanks out there. I have 60lbs of sand 80lbs of rock, 2 tunze nanostreams, an aquaclear 500 (for carbon and cheato), 250w ebo jager heater and 6x39 (you could easily do 4x39) T5s over mine- no sump, no skimmer, no fuss. I love it so much that I'm holding off on my custom 90 until I finish the 40. You could get yourself into the 40 with those specs for under $1000 easy if you shop around and catch someone tearing down.

Going from a 90g to a 40g myself. 90g was a good begining tank for salt, the 40g will have a sump, custom overflow, above tank 'fuge, much less expensive to run lighting, and in my opinion a much nicer footprint.

Good luck with your new 90g.

sarduci
12/09/2006, 10:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8713786#post8713786 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sink Colin Sink
What are my options in terms of fish and corals if I go with one of those 24 gallon AquaPod 150W Metal Halide light packages?

Most smaller fish and mid to high light corals. Mushrooms might be kind of hard to keep with that much light. I keep LPS's in my 12g JBJ NanoCube.

Sink Colin Sink
12/09/2006, 10:51 AM
What corals could be reccomended with that kind of light?

sarduci
12/09/2006, 10:53 AM
LPS's in the lower part and around the outer sides, maybe SPS's too. SPS's, ricordia florida, some LPS's mid to upper and under the middle of the tank.

Sink Colin Sink
12/09/2006, 01:46 PM
Thanks for all the help guys!

Now, on to fish, here are some I'm interested it, instead of the clowns I mentioned earlier. Would a Percula Clown be able to handle any of the following?

Neon Blue Goby
Court Jester Goby
Catalina Goby
Firefish,

How many of those fish could I have? What would be the best combination? Keep in mind I'm going to have the 24 Gallon AquaPod.

Thanks, Colin.

sarduci
12/09/2006, 06:14 PM
Firefish is a good choice. Cantalina Gobys are a cold water fish (70 deg) and would not do well in the long run in your tank (80 deg). Neon Blue is a good choice, but I'd skip the Court Jester, since they are sand sifters for food and would probably starve over the course of a few months to a year in your tank.

Sink Colin Sink
12/09/2006, 07:26 PM
Thanks!

What about a Bicolor Pseudochromis, or a Royal Gramma Basslet?

Sink Colin Sink
12/10/2006, 02:58 PM
Anyone have any advice about a Bicolor Pseudochromis, or a Royal Gramma Basslet?

Sorry for the double post!