PDA

View Full Version : Silversides - am I just stupid, or what?

king1522
12/07/2006, 06:47 PM
I bought my first package of frozen silversides this morning. I am not sure what I expected but they are all frozen together in a liquid solution. I have one medium size Lionfish and I wanted one silverside! Obviously you can't thaw one without thawing out a bunch. How does everyone else do it.? Will they keep unthawed in the fridge for any length of time? Kind of a dumb question but I never been the brightest bulb in the factory!:D
Don

zoebeaglezoe
12/07/2006, 08:17 PM
I just crack a little chunk of the top edge some times you get a solid piece other times not . I don't think they will keep very long in the fridge just like any seafood .

Chad Vossen
12/07/2006, 09:46 PM
im not sure if it would work, but how about if you thaw out a bunch in the fridge, then individualy refreeze them on a sheet of wax paper, then throw them all into a freezer bag to keep them together.

king1522
12/07/2006, 09:50 PM
Thanks Chad
I was kind of thinking along the same lines. I don't think there would be anything wrong with re freezing. Anyone else? What about this idea?
Don

OARrocks
12/07/2006, 11:02 PM
I dunno i try to touch those things a little as possible. Absolutely worst smelling little buggers. Just get a different brand next time, the ones i have are easy to individually break off.

JownsenJesus
12/07/2006, 11:09 PM
Just cut it into squares or something

jamison74
12/07/2006, 11:26 PM
do not refreeze... they turn to mush, kinda like severe freezer burn. just break off a corner throw in a covered bowl of saltwater and let thaw in the fridge. they will be fresh for a week to ten days no problem..heck, leave them soak in vitamins or garlic the whole time really works good also. but as far as getting one at a time, not likely, you will have some heads break off and a half of fish here and there. but overall very little waste.

agreeive?fish
12/08/2006, 09:42 AM
How Big is your LIONFISH?

Mine is about 16 inches... and i feed mine raw shellon shrimp from the grocery store. He / She will eat two at each feeding from my hand. Likes them better than silversides and a lot cheaper.

Just my experience though not all lions will conver to frozen food, mine converted himself , i already had the V. Lionfish when i obtained a great deal on a large Stars & Stripes puffer who was eating dried krill when i got him and lion decied to try the dried krill i eventuall converted the lion and puffer to raw shrimp (still feed other types of food such as dried krill, silversides, and various other seafoods from the seafood market but main diet item is raw shrimp and the whole tanklikes it.

king1522
12/08/2006, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. My lionfish is about 4 to 5 inches long. I just got him day before yesterday and am trying to get him to eat. I finally got him to eat a live small goldfish by holding it in tongs near him. I understand from my reading to only feed him every other day or so. I am going to try a silverside again tomorrow. Thanks again.
Don

Domboski
12/08/2006, 10:11 AM
I unfreeze the whole package and split them up in a plastic organizer such as a tackle box or organizer (http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@2040568184.1165594115@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccjaddjiikdjlicgelceffdfgidgmm.0&MID=9876).

Don't fully unfreeze the fish, just until you can split them up and get them back into the freezer quickly.

After in the organizer, it is easy to get just what you need.

Hope this helps!

king1522
12/08/2006, 12:11 PM
Donboski, I assume you re freeze them?

craftedpacket
12/08/2006, 12:28 PM
Any secret to getting the lions to eat non-live food? I have had mine for about a week now and so far I have just fed live ghost shrimp. Once you get them to eat frozen foods can you still feed live? From what I have read they dont get enough nutrients from only eating feeder foods like ghost shrimp.

Ebmorri
12/08/2006, 12:31 PM
I do like zoebeaglezoe, just break off a chunk and let it thaw out for an hour or so.

erick

Domboski
12/08/2006, 12:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8707603#post8707603 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by king1522
Donboski, I assume you re freeze them?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8706758#post8706758 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Domboski
I unfreeze the whole package and split them up in a plastic organizer such as a tackle box or organizer (http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@2040568184.1165594115@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccjaddjiikdjlicgelceffdfgidgmm.0&MID=9876).

Don't fully unfreeze the fish, just until you can split them up and get them back into the freezer quickly.

After in the organizer, it is easy to get just what you need.

Hope this helps!

king1522
12/08/2006, 12:37 PM
Thanks domboski, I guess I should read the complete post!:rolleyes: :D

Domboski
12/08/2006, 12:38 PM
No biggie. I do the same thing all of the time!

bignick
12/08/2006, 01:08 PM
I took mine and chopped it into 4 blocks and threw it in a blender while it was still frozen solid and i ended up with a bunch of little chunks. I wouldn't recomend that though because come feeding time you have a bit of a mess.

saltycreefer
12/08/2006, 01:10 PM
You can buy IQF (individually quick frozen) silversides next time.They come in a plastic container with a lid and they arent stuck together.

king1522
12/08/2006, 01:53 PM
Thanks saltycreefer, I didn't know that!

XtrmCHoPZ
12/08/2006, 02:11 PM
Id say ditch silversides all together and get the fish on another type of food... I personally hate silversides. I dont think theyre that great for fish especially lions. I can think of many other foods with more nutrional value that dont stink so much!!!!!

FishyMel
12/08/2006, 02:26 PM
Partially unfreeze just til you can crack them apart and then refreeze them. What brand are they? There shouldn't be a lot of liquid inbetween so they should just melt very slightly and separate fairly easily. Also, my lion learned to eat P.E. Mysis before he took silversides. The mysis will swirl in the water and look alive where the silversides fall to the bottom of the tank so it is usually easier to train your lion on mysis and then move him up to krill and then onto silversides.

bignick
12/08/2006, 02:36 PM
I know a lot of people that feed their lions dried krill. Maybe that will work for you?

king1522
12/12/2006, 11:28 AM
Update. I am still new at keeping Lionfish and I thought for some reason, they need the silversides whole. Actually, my little guy really doesn't care if it's whole or not! :lol: Head, tail, middle, just a chunk of fish. As long as its food! Live and learn. :p

Domboski
12/12/2006, 11:30 AM
Good to hear!