PDA

View Full Version : just got my new euroreef skimmer: pump problem?

fishypapas
12/07/2006, 08:44 PM
well i just got my new skimmer, rs80, followed the directions and fired it up.

the pump is loud and sounds like its vibrating big time. i lifted it off the bottom just to make sure the sump wasnt causing the sound.

it gets much worse when opening up the venturi, it almost sounds like its trying to talk in "whale" to me :)

before running it i made sure there was no styro bits in it (there was a tiny bit) and cleaned it out. then put it all back the way it was.

so, its now too late to call er, ill do it tom morn.

i dare not leave it on for more than a few seconds for fear ill burn it or something of the like. but when it did run, even in just vinegar water boy did it fizz, woohoo. (about 5:1 w:v solution as im breaking it in in a 10g, didnt have 2 gallons of v to do 2:1)

im hoping its just user error.

any ideas?

fishypapas
12/08/2006, 01:53 PM
:(

dkh0331
12/08/2006, 01:59 PM
Contact ER.

Has the impellor possibly seperated?

RichConley
12/08/2006, 02:38 PM
was it loud when running with air, or without air?

A lot of newer needlewheel designs have been pushed so far that the pumps essentially can't run without air.

amas
12/19/2006, 10:46 AM
Same thing happened to me. Pump is loud- almost sounds like a powerhead that's running dry.

I contacted ER- apparently many units got out the door with the needles untrimmed after injection-molding. I got a replacement and everything runs great now.

BTW, there are very poor instructions for adjustment, only note in the manual is set the foam level 2-inches up the neck. There is the air intake adjustment and the riser pipe adjustment. Do people run the air intake wide open? What IS the adjustment procedure?

fishypapas
12/23/2006, 04:20 PM
yup, its the pump, waiting on the exchange. euroreef made it quick and simple, so im a happy camper. soon after i finish my tank upgrade im sure ill have some quality skimate to share :)

er gets a :thumbsup: