PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade time... going from 25g to 90g

fluidimagery
12/07/2006, 09:19 PM
I've decided to upgrade my tank from my current 25g (24 x 16 x 16) to a 90g (36 x 24 x 24). My current equipment is the following:

Aqua Medic 150w 13k
2 x Panworld 50px (590gph)
OM Squirt 2 way
Deltec MC500 Skimmer
Phosban Reactor
22g Sump (10g of it is a fuge)
Reefkeeper2

With the new upgrade I'm looking to mainly keep SPS and a few others here and there.

I'm just using this post to toss around some ideas and see what recommendations you guys have.

SoCalCreations is going to be designing the tank along with a full cabinet for it to be hidden.

How much flow would be recommended?

Could I use the pumps I have now? I'm hoping to be able to use at least one for the sump return.... but a CLS will be needed

How much light, and what type should I be looking for? currently I'm on 2 x 250w + 2 x 39w T5

Since I have a canopy, I'll probably need a chiller... what size?

Currently the existing tank is running on a semi-shared 15amp circuit... I haven't tested to see what else is on it. Will 15amp be enough if it's dedicated? (please say yes :) )

Thanks

Randall_James
12/07/2006, 09:36 PM
You are going to need something more in the range of 2000Gph and as much as 4500Gph.

The sump can use one of your pumps anyway.

At 24" deep 2X250 MH minimum and maybe some T5 actinics (2X54W) to supplement.

A 1/4 hp chiller would be about the smallest to make it worth the trouble IME.

Looks like you are pretty close with what you have anyway.

Your circuit is not going to cut the mustard... you need at least double that as the chiller is going to draw some power when it starts. You need to do the math anyway after you get all your gear selected and then consult a real electrician about the right way to do it.

And dont forget to post pics as you go :)

fluidimagery
12/07/2006, 10:15 PM
Thanks Randall. I was aiming towards the 2500 - 3000 gph range. What kind of pump would you recommend?

I guess my OM squirt wouldn't be any good since it only handles up to 1000gph, I'm probably going to need to pick up an OM Super Squirt which can do up to 2500 gph.

What are some good names with chillers? I've never had one setup before...

I'm going to assume that I should be looking into a kalk / calc reactor as well? Dosing with the B-Ionic 2 part calc and alk that i've been using probably isn't going to work any more... lol

As far as the circuit, I'll call an electrician once this is definately a go.

btw... this all started because my wife wanted a cabinet to try to hide the equipment of what I have.

This is what I'm working with...
http://scott.fluidimagery.com/fish/sw/new_tank/IMG_3226.jpg

http://scott.fluidimagery.com/fish/sw/new_tank/IMG_3227.jpg

Randall_James
12/08/2006, 08:15 AM
Power wise.. Maybe you can just get some Nano Streams and use powerheads. I like remote pumps myself but they do present issues like you have now, equip, plumbing and overall appearance can be a headache. I know my better half would never allow my to have a tank with exposed plumbing, wires etc in the front room (only the nano is allowed there) I have used Iwaki and Little Giant pumps with good success for CL anyway.

Only chillers I have ever owned are JBJ and they seem ok to me. Perhaps if there are other quieter ones I would get one but I have only ever bought "used" and that limits ones choices.

I think you could tighten up the plumbing on the back by using 90's on the back and moving all that hardware closer to the tank and further down.

BTW barefoot women tend to distract your viewers from the tank :lol:

fluidimagery
12/08/2006, 08:33 AM
Thanks Randall...

I'm debating making the tank smaller so I can use my existing equipment (maybe swap a pump and add some T5s) but keep the rest of my equipment. What size do you think would be possible?

I'd like to keep the tank 36" I was thinking 36x20x18 or 36x18x18. So I could use my existing 150w and maybe add some T5s to get the corners of the tank. Whatever it is I'd like to be able to disapate the heat without a chiller. The house is kept at 69 degrees.

As far as a pump I was thinking about upgrading to a Panworld 100pxx (1270gph @ 130w) or 50pxx (1100 @ 90w)

Thanks for the help so far... sorry about the distraction... lol FOCUS!

Randall_James
12/08/2006, 09:42 AM
at 69 degrees, I doubt much chiller is needed during the winter. What do you set it at during the summer ??

the rest sounds like it would work...

fluidimagery
12/08/2006, 09:55 AM
House stays at 69 all year. I live in the Northeast about 1000 feet from water so it never gets THAT hot.

I wish I could go with the 90g, thing is that we're currently in a townhouse and the plan is to build a house in 5 years. Once we're in the house I was going to do an inwall tank 200+ with a fishroom and the whole deal. So to spend close to 5000 right now to go from a 25 to a 90 doesn't seem worth it, especially since we'll have to rip up the walls to run the electrical etc.

Thanks for the replies, you've been a great help.