PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Quandry??

salt-rookie
12/07/2006, 09:27 PM
I have a 180 with over 70 thriving and growing SPS colonies. I CANNOT keep my Calcium at or above 400 ppm, nor my Alk above 7 dKH. I'm trying all of the conventional ways....Calcium Reactor, Kalk drip, I'm adding 2 tablespoons of Epsom Salts to my 26 gallon weekly water changes, and I'm adding 2-3 teaspoons of Kent Turbo Calcium (for Calcium) and Kent dKH Buffer to keep Alkalinity up. This seems like a very random way to do this......did I miss a memo? Please help with some good suggestions!

What is the eternal source of calcium on a coral reef???

Struggling in MO!

Phil

REEF-DADDY
12/07/2006, 10:00 PM
What kind/size of Ca reactor are you running?

Assuming you have a decent reactor on there it may come down to running a 2-part on a litermeter. Are you familiar with homemade 2/3 part?

Covey
12/07/2006, 10:21 PM
Do you run a sandbed?

salt-rookie
12/07/2006, 10:48 PM
I have a 4" DSB. I also run a ASD Calcium Reactor using ARM media. I'm not sure i'm familiar with the 2/3 part.....

MORAY
12/07/2006, 11:59 PM
The thing to look at is your coral mass for the size tank. Over time the ratio of coral to water can get pretty high and higher than a natural reef. I ran into the same problem a few years ago and I had to increase the amount of 2 part I was using and while I'm able to maintain over 400 it takes more to do it. A friend using a calc reactor did run into problems keeping his up when it became full.

2 part is the simplest way to maintain a tank although not the cheapest. I use Ocean's Blend and have for years.

antonsemrad
12/08/2006, 01:04 AM
What is your magnesium level at?

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/index.php#21

MiddletonMark
12/08/2006, 04:49 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8705026#post8705026 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MORAY
2 part is the simplest way to maintain a tank although not the cheapest.
Especially with a dosing pump system it's pretty easy.

If you haven't checked Randy's DIY-2part [or 3part] - that's arguably the cheapest too. My 50# bag of Dowflake CaCl is going to last a loooong time.

MORAY
12/08/2006, 06:52 AM
Hi Mark,

I bought a dual IV dosing pump off Ebay a little of 5 years ago and have used it ever since. SPS especially seem to be able to use the elements faster this way in terms of growth. The guy that makes Ocean's Blend started using a doser again (had trouble with one like mine) and after a few months he is using 30% more to keep the levels up. However, he sees it in accelerated growth.

I've read up on Randy's DIY 2 part and I've experimented with some DIY magnesium, but Ocean's Blend is just a better choice for me overall. I've used it for over 5 years now and there is a lot of money, time, and effort in my tanks.

MORAY
12/08/2006, 07:29 AM
Phil,

Have you ever tested your make up salt water? Make up a batch and test it for Calc, Mg, and Alk. If it's low in Calc & Mg you can supplement it before it ever goes into your system, otherwise water changes may be driving Calc and Mg down.

If your sps are growing well then they are getting calcium and may just be sucking it up almost as fast as you put it in. I wouldn't sweat the calcium not going over 400 if the tank is thriving. If I were you I would be more concerned about the Alk than the Calc and the overall balance.

I've seen a few people in the local reef club go through your exact situation and it seems very frustrating and time consuming. Randy has some good articles on the importance of Alk/Calc balance and adding to the tank in a balanced system. I think you have some potential for disaster right now and it would be better for many reasons to do like Reef Daddy suggested and run the Calc reactor and 2 part. It might take some time to get things balanced and dialed in. Definitely easier on your sanity and peace of mind and that's worth a lot.

MiddletonMark
12/08/2006, 08:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8705632#post8705632 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MORAY
I've used it for over 5 years now and there is a lot of money, time, and effort in my tanks.
I totally understand :)

salt-rookie
12/08/2006, 09:53 AM
Mag is about 1300...Calk 415 ppm and Alk is 7.8........that is WITH all I supplement.

REEF-DADDY
12/08/2006, 10:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8706611#post8706611 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by salt-rookie
Mag is about 1300...Calk 415 ppm and Alk is 7.8........that is WITH all I supplement.

What a great problem to have! :) Do a search for the balling method