PDA

View Full Version : Two Seio 2600 Powerheads In A 100,g. With 2, Inch Sandbed. Think It Will Be Ok......

Chaotic Reefer4u
12/08/2006, 12:11 AM
or will it cause a sandstorm in there? is it enough flow for alot of sps? thanx in advance fellow reef peeps...:) is it more than enough water flow for a 100g. with acro's to thrive? thanx everyone.

RufRidn
12/08/2006, 12:52 AM
I saw two 2600 in a 120 gallon and it was blowing the sand everywhere. They are also huge. I have two 820's in my 100g.

twon8
12/08/2006, 12:55 AM
ive got a stream 6100 and a maximod at well over 3000 gph, plus a regular maxijet and the return in my 90 with a sand bed. i worked up to the flow though, and if i change it there is a bit of a sandstorm while things get settled out.

Cody Ray
12/08/2006, 01:18 AM
Go for it man!

RichConley
12/08/2006, 09:38 AM
should be fine.

I've got 2 3000gph Maximods in my 58. Its all about aiming them correctly.

herefishyfishy2
12/08/2006, 09:41 AM
3000gph Maximods? Did the rating go up on the 1200 mod from 2000? or do I need to do something more to mine?

twon8
12/08/2006, 09:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8706526#post8706526 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by herefishyfishy2
3000gph Maximods? Did the rating go up on the 1200 mod from 2000? or do I need to do something more to mine?

the new bell shaped housing increases the flow dramatically

RichConley
12/08/2006, 09:49 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8706526#post8706526 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by herefishyfishy2

The oceanflows move just about 2000 with a chopped down Dumas 3004 and a very restrictive housing. The Bell housings with the full 3004 move significantly more water. They move way more water than the previous housing.

DrBDC
12/08/2006, 10:43 AM
I'm using 2 mjmod high flows as well as 2 seio 1500's on my 90 with sand and no problems at all. It's all about how you aim them.

Chaotic Reefer4u
12/08/2006, 07:11 PM
thanx reefer pal's...

Frankysreef
12/08/2006, 07:55 PM
it seems there is never enough flow...

msuzuki126
12/08/2006, 08:00 PM
I've got one 2600 in my 90 gallon pointing somewhat upward and it's still kicking up my sand.

cayars
12/08/2006, 09:24 PM
I think many of you guys are crazy with the flow rates you run. Some of you guys run way more flow then will be found in the ocean (factors).

It cracks me up every time I see someone's tank when a fish swims into a powerhead current and gets blown almost sideways across half the tank. :)

Lower flow that's random in nature can do more for you then just a few high flow pumps and is more "natural".

You can achieve all the flow you need by running your returns near the bottom of your tank to keep debris from settling and then running a few strategically placed powered heads with wave action that cause random flow throughout the tank. Nothing settles and is kept in the water column, bubble type corals are happy, acros are happy, the fish are happy.

Chaotic Reefer4u
12/09/2006, 12:34 AM
thanx for the advice cayars...

gasman059
12/09/2006, 04:58 PM
yep flow is GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

twon8
12/09/2006, 05:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8711300#post8711300 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cayars
I think many of you guys are crazy with the flow rates you run. Some of you guys run way more flow then will be found in the ocean (factors).

It cracks me up every time I see someone's tank when a fish swims into a powerhead current and gets blown almost sideways across half the tank. :)

Lower flow that's random in nature can do more for you then just a few high flow pumps and is more "natural".

You can achieve all the flow you need by running your returns near the bottom of your tank to keep debris from settling and then running a few strategically placed powered heads with wave action that cause random flow throughout the tank. Nothing settles and is kept in the water column, bubble type corals are happy, acros are happy, the fish are happy.

higher flow = faster acro growth ime.

that is why i have it so high, and i would like to see that tank with more flow than the ocean. not buying it.

all the flow you need is not the same as the optimal for sps. if you have bubble corals then true that you can't up it so much, but my fish love swimming in the currents.

twon8
12/09/2006, 05:11 PM
also i feel that the high flow eliminates the need to run a gfo, nitrate reactor, ozone, etc.

reefman77
12/09/2006, 06:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8715588#post8715588 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by twon8
also i feel that the high flow eliminates the need to run a gfo, nitrate reactor, ozone, etc.

why would High flow Prevent nitrates and Phosphates?

Pyrrhus
12/09/2006, 07:55 PM
By keeping the detritus in suspension until it can be removed by the protein skimmer.

Mike O'Brien
12/09/2006, 09:17 PM
I'd go with tunze stream's instead. The seio 2600 is huge like said. They also suck snail's right out of their shells when they get near the intake. I had a big green bta get sucked through it as well. Completely shredded. Then there are the restarting problem's.

hobogato
12/09/2006, 09:32 PM
i just added four 2600's on two controllers to my 240, and i am also running one tunze powerhead on a single controller. my sand bed stays at the bottom, but it is the special reef grade - not sugar fine.

cayars
12/10/2006, 06:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8715578#post8715578 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by twon8
higher flow = faster acro growth ime.

that is why i have it so high, and i would like to see that tank with more flow than the ocean. not buying it.

all the flow you need is not the same as the optimal for sps. if you have bubble corals then true that you can't up it so much, but my fish love swimming in the currents.

I think it's more to do with "random" flow then just the flow itself. High flow is good but not "super" flow. That was the point I was trying to make.

I don't know about you, but when ever I go scuba diving near a reef I don't get "blown" away by currents. Yes of course I'm being moved by water but not in a "jet stream".

It's more about having the water "wave" then just a lot of movement by powerheads. A "WaveMaker" if you will. Of course there will still be "currents" when using a wavemaker but it's not a 100% always on thing like some of the peoples tanks without a wavemaker device in their tanks.

TIP: If you can take a powerhead and go around the tank and blow debris off your rocks then you DO NOT have enough random flow and debris is still able to settle in your tank and not stay in the column.

dascharisma
12/10/2006, 11:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8711300#post8711300 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cayars

I don't think I have encountered any sps tanks where the flow was greater than is found in nature. Also the claim you make that, "I don't know about you, but when ever I go scuba diving near a reef I don't get "blown" away by currents. Yes of course I'm being moved by water but not in a "jet stream". seems to be ignoring the fact that nobody with any sense is aiming their powerheads directly at their corals. The diffusion provided by banking powerheads off the glass lets us come closer to the natural ideal that you are describing.

Brad

DrBDC
12/10/2006, 11:19 AM
On a 1 meter section of reef there are hundreds of thousands of gallons pushed past the reef per hour on the neighborhood of 400-500X turnover IIRC. Many snorkelers and divers get pushed against corals and reef rocks from the surges. It is wider flow(yes even wider than the tunze's, seio's and mjmods) but we do our best. Nowhere is there 20-30 times turnover except in tidepools and lagoons.

Chaotic Reefer4u
12/10/2006, 01:00 PM
very informative...

twon8
12/10/2006, 02:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8718500#post8718500 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cayars

I don't know about you, but when ever I go scuba diving near a reef I don't get "blown" away by currents. Yes of course I'm being moved by water but not in a "jet stream".

it's impossible to get an idea of movement when you are in the current, like when in a hot air ballon it seems as if you are not moving, because you are moving with the air around you.

sasscuba
12/10/2006, 02:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8718500#post8718500 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cayars
I think it's more to do with "random" flow then just the flow itself. High flow is good but not "super" flow. That was the point I was trying to make.

It's more about having the water "wave" then just a lot of movement by powerheads. A "WaveMaker" if you will. Of course there will still be "currents" when using a wavemaker but it's not a 100% always on thing like some of the peoples tanks without a wavemaker device in their tanks.

TIP: If you can take a powerhead and go around the tank and blow debris off your rocks then you DO NOT have enough random flow and debris is still able to settle in your tank and not stay in the column.

HaHaHa. you ever been diving is Cozumel? The currents run up to 5 mph on most reefs. It is jet style! It is called drift diving. You enter off the boat and they follow you and in 1 hour you are 5 miles down reef. Fish love that strong current even the small ones and Cozumel has some of the best coral growth in the world. The current on most dives is straight in Cozumel and in one direction so more flow in a reef tank is very good if the substrate does not get blown around.

RichConley
12/10/2006, 03:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8716974#post8716974 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mike O'Brien
I'd go with tunze stream's instead. The seio 2600 is huge like said. They also suck snail's right out of their shells when they get near the intake. I had a big green bta get sucked through it as well. Completely shredded. Then there are the restarting problem's.
None of those things would be any difference with a Tunze. THey just as big, will kill snails and BTAs, etc.

The not starting is overstated. My SEIOs start more consistenly than my tunze does.

Mike O'Brien
12/10/2006, 04:47 PM
Rich, I have found that to not be the case at all. I have a 6080 with 2250 gph. The strainer on the tunze is much larger, that allow's snail's to move right across them without a problem at all. The tunze has not killed one thing yet. The tunze, though still large is not as large as the seio. Again, I have both.

RichConley
12/10/2006, 05:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8721470#post8721470 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mike O'Brien
Rich, I have found that to not be the case at all. I have a 6080 with 2250 gph. The strainer on the tunze is much larger, that allow's snail's to move right across them without a problem at all. The tunze has not killed one thing yet. The tunze, though still large is not as large as the seio. Again, I have both.

As did I, both sold.

I had my tunze kill more than one snail. The difference between the SEIO and the Tunze is the tunze you'll find the dead snails under it. The seio you'll find them still stuck there.

My Tunzes also became clogged with crap much quicker.

(had a 6060, and an m1500)

DrBDC
12/10/2006, 06:56 PM
My snails clean the intakes all the time on my 1500's. My cleaner shrimp used to live right above it and come out on top of it to clean fish. I have my intakes wide open and maybe that's the difference. If you turn the intake adjustment and lessen the number of holes to a smaller number it will pull harder on each opening.

Chaotic Reefer4u
12/10/2006, 07:09 PM
the dual seio 2600's are just fine in my reef with no problems, thanx reef peep's...