PDA

View Full Version : Alk precipitate in low tank pH jug?

AustinVines
12/08/2006, 10:04 AM
Randy,

A friend made your alk recipe for tanks with low pH. I am about 1/2 through the gallon and recently noticed it has a significant amount of precipitate in the jug. It is stuck to the bottom and doesn't pour at this point. Is this normal?

Also, I am getting lazy and am dosing the 30 ml cup into the return of my sump and then the calcium in the fuge instead of in the main tank. Do I need to be overly concerned with the impeller of my return pump seizing quicker than my 6-8 week cycle of an hcl bath?

Thanks for all your assistance

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/08/2006, 11:59 AM
The alkalinity part is near it solubility limit. If the jug gets cold, you may get some precipitation, which may go away with warming.

Was it ever fully clear at room temperature?

AustinVines
12/08/2006, 02:01 PM
It seemed clear when I would pour it from the recycled B-ionic jug which was opaque. It never turned milkey in the tank like the b-ionic would upon adding it but I notice a little of it now. I am about 2 quarts through a gallon jug.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/08/2006, 03:19 PM
you might keep it warm (like on a radiator), but otherwise, I wouldn't worry to much about it unless it seems like a large portion of what was originally added. Just realize that it might be a tad low in alkalinity potency.

Adding more water may also help, but then you'll need to dose more each time.