PDA

View Full Version : Buffer in auto topoff

vicmiller
12/08/2006, 11:45 AM
I use a 20 gl tank as a resivour for auto topoff on my 50 gl system. I start with 12 gl RODI water and add 4 teaspoons seachem reef builder. I add 3 gl every other day with 1 tsp RB to keep the resivour a little over half full. There is a powerhead and air stone in the resivour. Topoff with Lietermeeter pump th keep water level constant in the sump. Add 1/4 tsp seachem calcium daily. Parameters are good at 420 ca and 11 alk with little variance. I let the resivour run down to almost empty once a month and rinse it out before refilling. I have noticed that at the end of the month the topoff water gets very cloudy with a white coating on the sides of the resivour. Is the cloudy water and buildup anything to be conserned about.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/08/2006, 12:14 PM
I do not know exactly what they put into it, but Seachem says that a little solid precipitate from it is normal and I would not worry about it unless it is likely to clog some important device:

http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/ReefBuilder_faq.html
from it:

"Reef Builder™ Support
Q:When I dissolve Reef Builder™ at the prescribed 4 tsp per gallon in R.O. water the resulting solution is cloudy and does not clear upon standing. Also some I find some of the material is very stubborn to dissolve. Is this normal?
A: When dissolving at the prescribed concentrations it is normal for the solution to be somewhat cloudy. Add the Reef Builder™ to your RO water, and stir it for a few minutes or let it stand about 10 minutes, then add it to your tank, it will dissolve rapidly at this point. Predissolving the Reef Builder™ is recommended mainly as a more gentle delivery method (as opposed to just putting the dry product directly in the tank!) not as something you would dose with (in which case you would want it all dissolved). It is also normal for small amounts of the material to not be dissolved if you let the RO or DI water and Reef Builder™ solution sit overnight... small amounts of calcium carbonate can form sometimes within the bottle, and it is this material (chalk) which is very insoluble. It will eventually dissolve in the tank however since the amounts are very small and the volume of the tank is many times greater than the 1 gallon of RO or DI water. "

FWIW, you could do the same thing with baking soda. :)