PDA

View Full Version : Water Quality

stingleyman
12/08/2006, 12:53 PM
I was wondering if anyone could help me make a decision regarding steps to eliminate hair algae. I have been buying water since I started my tank. A good Ro\di is a must I understand, but with budget issues, I'm trying to figure out the best route. Basically i need to add some more rock to my system for starters, but i'm wondering with would go farther in my battle? would it make more sense to get a phosphate reactor and some more rock, or maybe just a good ro\di unit. I guess I'm wonder with is more crucial, is it more important to do more ofter water changes with quality water, or maybe to have a good way of exporting phophates from tank? Also could I try a little of both? My buddy just runs his well water through one of them cheap di units, you know the 35$ ones. he doesn't seem to have any problems in his tank. But I don't want to waste money on one if they don't really work that well. So what do u think. I would like to only spend about 150.00 right now. Can go with the 20-30 ibs lr + cheap water filter ( that rock would top of tank at about1.5ibs per gallon) or rock and phosphate reactor, or just a good ro\di unit with weekly water changes. right now i only have a few corals, and a lawn mower. had some others but sold to friend so I could get issues in check.

drummereef
12/08/2006, 01:26 PM
I would start with a quality RO/DI unit. Water quality is a must when dealing with any type of algae issue. $150 - no problems.

Check these out - they have great customer service!
http://www.thefilterguys.biz/ro_di_systems.htm

stingleyman
12/08/2006, 02:04 PM
Anybody else have an opinion???

the other tang
12/08/2006, 02:44 PM
He is right a filter is the best way to go. As for treating the symptom there are always blue leg hermits and red hermits to munch on it. The algae is probably beneficial at this point feasting on the phosphates. The filted will also save you the pain of driving and hauling water, which tends to make people do their water changes on schedule. I know I did. Less work and a healthier reef...thats why I broke down and bought one. I had the cheap style but had an algae problem too, got a specrta pure ro and th issues vanished.

stingleyman
12/08/2006, 03:21 PM
So can I assume that regular water changes with high quality water will go farther in the battle with algae than a phosphate reactor??? Wish there was a crystal ball....... is it possible that because I only have about 25 ibs Lr and 40ibs ls that I'm having these problems? or is it more likely the cause of pollutants being put in the tank by sub-par water??? Must admitt, only do monthly water changes because i buy water, ussually use distilled to top of. but it seems that more regular changes with better water is what everyone seems to think is the best way to control algae???? Agreed...

stingleyman
12/08/2006, 08:28 PM
anyone else care to share there input, Will a tank that doesn't have the "rule"amount of LR. ever balance out? Is it more important to export phophates, nutrient, etc. Or more often water changes with quality water. both are key, but which do you think make the biggest difference?