PDA

View Full Version : D&D marine typhoon skimmer

kodyboy
12/08/2006, 05:23 PM
I recently purchased a D&D marine typhoon skimmer from Dr Fosters for $70 and was very pleased with its quality construction and overall skimming ability. It is made of strong clear acrylic with nice fittings, not flimsy crap. This unit is far better than other units that cost a similiar amount, and is so far a decent skimmer. For $70 it is an awesome value. When I get a chance I will try to post some pics. If you need an HOB skimmer I would give this a try, I would even say it equals or beats my friends Remora HOB.

phishlet
12/08/2006, 07:15 PM
I had one of those for a while. It used to be called the Scum Sucker. They've been around for years.

I agree that the quality of the acrylic is great. I also agree that it performs in the range of the Remora which is not great. I replaced mine with a Remora hoping for more but just got a more boxy HOB skimmer instead with no better performance than the Scum Sucker (Typhoon). I also did not like that there really is no collection cup on the Typhoon. You have to have a tube connected to a container all the time.

It says it is listed for a tank up to 110 gallons. Having used one, I wouldn't run it on anything over 55 gallons (probably more realistically not more than a 30 gallon or so). I ran mine on a 46 bowfront and it was only very average in performance.

But for the price (on sale right now for $67 at drsfostersmith.com) it is a good bargain.

phishlet
12/08/2006, 07:38 PM
Here's a video of the top foam from the manufacturer's web site:
http://www.danddmarine.com/Skimmertoppage.html

You'll need quicktime installed to view it.