PDA

View Full Version : Please Help...Oveflow way to loud

TomDe
12/08/2006, 08:25 PM
I purchased a used Oceanic 90 off someone. The overlfow sounds like a toilet flushing and I am afraid my neighbors will hear in across the hall.

There is already a hole in the durso.

Can I plug the hole? Widen it?

Thanks

Erik765
12/08/2006, 08:29 PM
You can't plug it but you could try widening it, as long as it isn't bigger than about 3/16". I try keeping mine clean 'cause when it gets salt creep it gets louder.

Just a thought.

E

RamPuppy
12/08/2006, 08:29 PM
are you sure the hole isn't plugged? stick a paper clip through it.

the flushing sound, as i understand it, is because the durso is able to start a siphon, so it pulls all the water out of the overflow until the siphon breaks, then starts the process all over again.

make sure the hole is clean, and if the durso is adjustable, maybe raise it a little.

RamPuppy
12/08/2006, 08:30 PM
oh, and I am sorry if this is insulting, it's not meant to be, you know the top hole in the durso goes above the water right?

Sorry.. just making sure.

TomDe
12/08/2006, 08:51 PM
The hole is above the water, not insulting at all. This is my first RR tank.

How do you clean it. It is not adjustable>

Hop
12/08/2006, 09:20 PM
Are you able to increase and decrease the flow to the tank from the return pump? Try that first, it may be too much for the durso the way it is right now.

You have to balance the water/air mix entering the durso. It takes some tweaking, but once you get it, they are pretty quiet.

I know you said that there is not an adjustment on yours, but you may want to plug durso or stockman into the search engine and look at what others have done on theirs. Mine was noisy, so I added a second hold in my stand pipe and now all is quiet:)

Hope that helps.

TomDe
12/08/2006, 09:27 PM
I just put a small chunk of foam over the hole and it at least cut in half but I do not know how long that will last.'

Sorry I am new to RR tanks. Standpipe is the straight one going in the water?

Hop
12/08/2006, 09:37 PM
Yes, the standpipe is the vertical one:) Let's figure out what we are missing before we go drilling and/or plugging holes...

So 3 questions... What pump are you running for a return, do you have a ball/gate valve between the pump and the display tank and are there one or two dursos? Lets start there;)

figuerres
12/08/2006, 09:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8711315#post8711315 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tdalessa01
I just put a small chunk of foam over the hole and it at least cut in half but I do not know how long that will last.'

Sorry I am new to RR tanks. Standpipe is the straight one going in the water?

can you take some photos?

also when it makes the sounds is the water level in the overflow going up and down?

also look at where the water comes out the bottom into the sump.

sometimes I have seen trapped air build up there and make it flush / surge.

some where air it trapped and that is breaking the flow.

also is all the plumbing used recently or new or was it dry for a while?

new pipe sometimes needs to "Break in" and get a coat of slime inside to help it out.

also watch out for snails - I have had a few of them getinto the pipe and almost plug it up.

TomDe
12/08/2006, 10:24 PM
I have an eheim 1260 as pump.

There is a ball valve

Water was not moving up or down

Something I did notice is that when I look up Durso everybody has a top cap and I do not. The pipe just rounds back down at top with a hole in the pipe that is out of the water.

Hop
12/08/2006, 10:31 PM
I have an eheim 1260 as pump.

OK, so that's good.

There is a ball valve

Try restricting the flow down a bit and see if the sound goes away.

Something I did notice is that when I look up Durso everybody has a top cap and I do not. The pipe just rounds back down at top with a hole in the pipe that is out of the water.

I'm guessing the difference is the stockman vs. the durso.
http://www.rl180reef.com/180/pages/standpipe/images/standpipe.jpg
Like this? Compliments of Rich Durso's site:)

And is the top Really open, such as a open 1" piece of PVC?

TomDe
12/08/2006, 10:47 PM
It looks like that except where the pipe is at the top where it starts to curve back down is solid. So there is just a drilled hole and it does not have a seperate piece that goes up with the cap.

Hop
12/08/2006, 10:53 PM
Pic is horrible... Like this one?
http://www.all-glass.com/products/aquariums/images/megaflow_pic.jpg

If so, it's ok:) We just have to get that air/water mix right... Try plugging the little hole on top of the standpipe with a pencil, then back the pencil out little by little. See if it quiets in down at all. If it does, we need to put something on it to restrict it... If not, we may need to get a bigger hole;) Or add another little hole... But being a stock item, you shouldn't have to add anything to make it work...

I'll run a search also.

TomDe
12/08/2006, 11:29 PM
That is exactly it except not in the corner of tank. The foam is still there and it is quiet. The hole was to big. The foam is only the size of a dime.

Thank you so much for your help.